Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

In the days ahead (and maybe weeks) you'll be hearing about something that was discovered in the course of excavating the new river bed...........

WT hasn't made any big public splash, but I'm given to understand that may be coming............hate to steal their thunder.........but since they stuck evidence in the presentation to the last Board Meeting.....

1634180012110.png

From the WaterfronToronto Board Agenda for Oct 7th.

I won't pre-empt any press materials fully...........except to say there is some excitement in the local scientific/biological/botanical communities over this.

I am not directly involved..........just in the loop.

Overall link for the Board Materials for that meeting: https://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe/wcm/connect/waterfront/bfbae214-654b-4d24-b7dc-4e0c325db3f6/Meeting+Book+-+Board+of+Directors+Meeting+-+October+7,+2021.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CONVERT_TO=url&CACHEID=bfbae214-654b-4d24-b7dc-4e0c325db3f6

Last edited:
In the days ahead (and maybe weeks) you'll be hearing something that was discovered in the course of excavating the new river bed...........

WT hasn't made any big public splash, but I'm given to understand that may be coming............hate to steal their thunder.........but since they stuck evidence in the presentation to the last Board Meeting.....

View attachment 355596

I won't pre-empt any press materials fully...........except to say there is some excitement in the local scientific/biological/botanical communities over this.

I am not directly involved..........just in the loop.

Overall link for the Board Materials for that meeting: https://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe/wcm/connect/waterfront/bfbae214-654b-4d24-b7dc-4e0c325db3f6/Meeting+Book+-+Board+of+Directors+Meeting+-+October+7,+2021.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CONVERT_TO=url&CACHEID=bfbae214-654b-4d24-b7dc-4e0c325db3f6

Damn. Too bad it wasn't Knapps roller boat.

Damn. Too bad it wasn't Knapps roller boat.
Deep cuts! Definitely made me look up where the remains are. From an article in the Historicist…

“The Roller Boat finally vanished in 1933 when it was buried near Frederick Street by infill used to create the Union Station railway viaduct. According to recent archaeological surveys, the skeleton is likely still down there, waiting to be rediscovered.”

So everyone, get the shovels!

In the days ahead (and maybe weeks) you'll be hearing about something that was discovered in the course of excavating the new river bed...........

View attachment 355596

What is strange is that board meetings are supposed to be mainly open to the public and they would normal post their meeting on their YouTube channel. What happened to transparency last week?

!

How is news of that not all over the place? That is potentially the most significant archeological find I can think of in this city's history. That was marshland before it got industrialized? If those seeds have been sitting in a dark, anaerobic tomb this whole time... Wow. That could be a groundbreaking discovery, in multiple disciplines

!

How is news of that not all over the place? That is potentially the most significant archeological find I can think of in this city's history. That was marshland before it got industrialized? If those seeds have been sitting in a dark, anaerobic tomb this whole time... Wow. That could be a groundbreaking discovery, in multiple disciplines

WT is documenting this find; and what's being done about it, but so far hasn't put out any press material. Clearly, not many journalists read the WT Board Agenda, and/or missed the significance of that item.

Can someone spill the tea!? I have no idea what the importance of that plant is or its seeds
To my understanding, before the Don was channelized (moved into the way it is today), the area was marshland. Then, humans plopped some dirt there and built an industrial zone, covering the plants and seeds there. Now they've uncovered the area, the seeds are growing again, after (I think about) 100 years.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

To my understanding, before the Don was channelized (moved into the way it is today), the area was marshland. Then, humans plopped some dirt there and built an industrial zone, covering the plants and seeds there. Now they've uncovered the area, the seeds are growing again, after (I think about) 100 years.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe.

Some of the seeds currently growing definitely blew in and took root on their own, and are contemporary.
Some maybe from the seed bank. The greater interest lies in what has not yet grown, but might.

Certainly, there is some hope that seed might be found, still alive (able to germinate) from that earlier era.
If so, it might be common stuff, or it might be rare, or even extirpated/extinct.
No one knows yet.

At least 3 fish species have taken advantage of a newly created cove, only two years old, and begun to populate it aggressively.

You can see the cove in this image (within the purple area)

1634576352616.png

From: https://portlandsto.ca/cherry-street-stormwater-lakefilling-project/

You can the cove in this picture, on the right hand side of the image:

1634576421617.png

Credit: Waterfrontoronto

1634576469088.png

Credit: Waterfrontoronto

Last edited by a moderator:

Back