Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

New bike path is open. Cell pic from just now.

PXL_20210712_151131706.jpg

August 2021

Construction Notice #19:
Port Lands Flood Protection​

af2756fe-9fcb-4c13-b28a-542b89969bbb.png
Construction manager
7de317db-13ae-4c2b-81c6-ed7e9296c660.png

5cc5eaf8-f8ec-4efc-a941-52270eac33c7.png

Traffic Notice: Lane Diversions at Cherry Street and Lake Shore Boulevard East Intersection

August - October 2021

Starting in August, changes to the north section of the intersection of Cherry Street and Lake Shore Boulevard will begin. Traffic travelling south on Cherry Street towards Lake Shore Boulevard will not be able to turn left to go eastbound on Lake Shore Boulevard. Eastbound Lake Shore Boulevard traffic will be restricted to one lane.

Reconfiguring the intersection of Cherry Street and Lake Shore is necessary to:
  • Integrate with the future Cherry Street, which will be rebuilt further west of existing Cherry Street
  • Connect a new watermain to the Port Lands and install new traffic signals and street lighting
  • Improve the intersection for pedestrians and cyclists

To learn more about what we’re building, find a project map.

WHAT TO EXPECT:​

• Southbound traffic on Cherry St. will be forced onto Lake Shore Boulevard westbound
  • Eastbound traffic on Lake Shore Boulevard will be reduced to a single lane
  • Construction noise and dust

808f54bc-abf4-a85f-1aad-0251ba77af16.png

Above: This map shows the location of the intersection improvements

b6823936-a6fe-4ce8-f586-37f9411ac068.png

Above: This map shows the lane restrictions on Lake Shore Boulevard eastbound and the restricted access to the eastbound lane from Cherry Street.

Lane Restrictions on the Martin Goodman Trail

Until November 2021

Continue to expect intermittent lane closures on the Martin Goodman Trail between Parliament Street and Cherry Street. One lane will always remain open. Signs and flagpersons will direct east-west pedestrian and cyclist traffic. Whenever it is safe, priority will be given to pedestrians and cyclists. As the work progresses, the path will be cleaned and patch-paved for safety. These closures are needed as we finish work on utilities beneath the new Cherry Street.

WHAT TO EXPECT:
  • Lane restriction: The Martin Goodman Trail will be reduced to a single lane only for periods of 1-2 days at a time
  • Closures will shift between eastbound and westbound lanes
  • Delays: Cyclists and pedestrians will be prioritized when safe, but expect some wait time
  • Construction noise and dust

f854160e-e73e-5f71-2b57-f8528cff750e.png

Above: This map shows the section of the Martin Goodman Trail (MGT) where closures will occur between March-November 2021, and the location of signage and flagpersons.

Road Work
Commissioners Street remains closed between Cherry Street and Don Roadway. Don Roadway remains closed between Commissioners Street and Villiers Street. Both closures will remain in place until Summer 2022.

Future Road Work
Changes to the Lake Shore Bridge over the Don River are required as part of both Port Lands Flood Protection and the City of Toronto’s Gardiner Expressway and Lake Shore Boulevard Reconfiguration (Gardiner East) project.

This work includes:
  • Removing the Logan Ramps at the east end of the Gardiner Expressway
  • Widening and lengthening the Lake Shore Bridge
  • Rebuilding the roadway between Don Roadway and Carlaw Avenue, including more landscaping and protected spaces for cyclists and pedestrians
Find out more about the Lake Shore Boulevard East project.

I remain confused (again?) as to why they keep talking about the Harbour Lead Rail Line. From everything I hear elsewhere, Ports Toronto and CreateTO are in final stages of abandoning it (and it is now blocked off on east side of Don River.) Frankly, I would like to keep it operational (in the median as is proposed) but I think 'someone' needs to decide if it will actually exist and if it won't then update these plans and schedules to remove it.

Posted an update in the GO Construction thread:

lol so lake shore eastbound will be down to 1 lane when the Gardiner Off ramp is closed? That'll be fun for anyone trying to drive to the east end - they will have to exit at Jarvis and go through the single lane gauntlet at Cherry.

lol so lake shore eastbound will be down to 1 lane when the Gardiner Off ramp is closed? That'll be fun for anyone trying to drive to the east end - they will have to exit at Jarvis and go through the single lane gauntlet at Cherry.

Getting to and from work these next few years is going to be a blast!! :(

Will the Cherry Street intersection be rebuilt again with the Waterfront East LRT project?
Yes as it unknow at this time how the QQE LRT extension will connect to the current Cherry St LRT line. Provision made for the QQE line and how it connect to the new Cherry St going south. It will have to be rebuilt when it comes time for the tracks to be place and maybe the switches.

Cycles will use the west side of Cherry St and come 2022 to 2024 the only way to go east as all exist path will be close for the rebuilt of the Lake Shore and the area.

Someone should have a screen shot of the plan shown today how the intersection will look like as I could not take one. Every time I use MS team, something doesn't work. Screen shot this time, raise the hand for the last one and could not speak before that one. Not the only one having issues and seen it in the past. Today, folks couldn't post in the chat.

Come May 2022, the new Cherry St opens and will see the old one close so it can be bury to raise the area to the new level. Opening depends on when the bridges arrive and looks like they are running late at this time.

They will, apparently, be leaving room for it and the LRT line (if it ever gets built) is separate and on the east side of Cherry.
Yes as it unknow at this time how the QQE LRT extension will connect to the current Cherry St LRT line. Provision made for the QQE line and how it connect to the new Cherry St going south. It will have to be rebuilt when it comes time for the tracks to be place and maybe the switches.

Cycles will use the west side of Cherry St and come 2022 to 2024 the only way to go east as all exist path will be close for the rebuilt of the Lake Shore and the area.

Someone should have a screen shot of the plan shown today how the intersection will look like as I could not take one. Every time I use MS team, something doesn't work. Screen shot this time, raise the hand for the last one and could not speak before that one. Not the only one having issues and seen it in the past. Today, folks couldn't post in the chat.

Come May 2022, the new Cherry St opens and will see the old one close so it can be bury to raise the area to the new level. Opening depends on when the bridges arrive and looks like they are running late at this time.
Thanks for the information. I guess it's kinda wasteful to rebuild the streetscape twice, but it's probably better than leaving the street in a dreadful condition while we wait for the QQE extension.
Just to let you guys know, I asked the team yesterday if they could use Waterfront Toronto's signature 'Olivio' street light (as seen on Queens Quay West) for the Lake Shore project. Unfortunately, Toronto Hydro forced them to use standard Cobra LEDs for the roadway lighting. Olivio lights will only be used for the linear park :mad:

Back