Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Does anyone know about this section is it going to be a bridge or just a roadway thru the Don Greenway section. I did not see anything mentioned about it on any of the videos and the timeline construction video.
View attachment 331800
As far as I understand, this bridge/roadway, and the precinct just to the west of it, is a part of the Polson/South River precinct and is a planned neighbourhood after the 2024 revitalization is complete, and the after the Villiers Island Precinct is underway. Nothing at this point is official on this bridge most likely, there could be no roadway there after all, but it is probably there to handle future density and traffic, just like how the Munitions Street Bridge is a future bridge that will be built over the Keating Channel after it is needed to serve the Keating Precinct and the Villiers Precinct. Anybody could add to this though, if they know any more information.

Does anyone know about this section is it going to be a bridge or just a roadway thru the Don Greenway section. I did not see anything mentioned about it on any of the videos and the timeline construction video.
View attachment 331800

As far as I understand, this bridge/roadway, and the precinct just to the west of it, is a part of the Polson/South River precinct and is a planned neighbourhood after the 2024 revitalization is complete, and the after the Villiers Island Precinct is underway. Nothing at this point is official on this bridge most likely, there could be no roadway there after all, but it is probably there to handle future density and traffic, just like how the Munitions Street Bridge is a future bridge that will be built over the Keating Channel after it is needed to serve the Keating Precinct and the Villiers Precinct. Anybody could add to this though, if they know any more information.

Whenever this section of roadway is built, my understanding is that it will be a bridge of some sort, as the Don Greenway is a spillway that can be used to accommodate rising water levels in the Don River during extreme weather/climate events to mitigate the flooding that might otherwise occur. Basically, this area will act as a relief valve for the river. For this to function, that stretch of road will have to be raised above the parkland.

Quick cell shot of new paved bike path that runs up to cherry street

PXL_20210706_150007352.jpg

Last edited:
Too bad they'll use cheap paint to indicate where the bicycle path is. Unlike using coloured asphalt, like in the Netherlands...
Though I like the idea of coloured asphalt, it is more expensive and in this case the path is not even close to a road. There is no doubt that it's bike (and pedestrian) path so why bother! It is also temporary.

Though I like the idea of coloured asphalt, it is more expensive and in this case the path is not even close to a road. There is no doubt that it's bike (and pedestrian) path so why bother! It is also temporary.
With the suburban Councillors, all bicycle infrastructure is "temporary".

If you want a good looking, well designed city, it costs more. I suspect we're transitioning to a culture that values good quality and values cycling. Just slapping down some asphalt and painting it might have been fine in the past but it's always been a rather primitive solution. This is one area where we need to up our game.

Some folks are never happy. I’m certain a great deal of money is being spent on this. Not too long ago no money was being spent on bike lanes. There has been so much more awareness and more and more bike infrastructure being built.

Arguing that some folks are never happy isn't accurate. When the starting point is abysmal, incremental improvements aren't good enough. People are demanding the same standards in Canada that people demand in other countries. Canadians don't deserve less.

Besides, why not build it right the first time? It's actually cheaper building it once than having to re-do something 3 times. If Toronto is to continue its ascension, we need to instill excellence in EVERYTHING we do. Arguing that only some things need be to a comparable standard as elsewhere won't get us there.

Last edited:
Too bad they'll use cheap paint to indicate where the bicycle path is. Unlike using coloured asphalt, like in the Netherlands...

I've made the mistake of subscribing to the YouTube channel Not Just Bikes and I see how far ahead of us the Netherlands are in so many respects.

Besides, why not build it right the first time? It's actually cheaper building it once than having to re-do something 3 times.
Not that I disagree with 'doing things right the first time' - in this case what has been built is NOT supposed to be permanent, that whole area is an active construction site and I think the path is being slightly moved so that they can do the foundations for the new Cherry Street in that area. In due course it will need to be moved again, probably several times. There really is no point spending extra $$ on a temporary 50 metres of bike track - though I cycle there often myself! (As long as it's smooth and does not flood!)

Last edited:
Yes, I know the Ship Channel and this bridge are technically NOT part of this project but... SEE; http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2021.MM35.36

MM35.36
ACTION​
Ward: All​
Authority to Enter into a Funding Agreement with PortsToronto and Fund Design and Construction for Rehabilitation of the Ship Channel Bridge Approach Spans and Bascule Bridge - by Councillor Jennifer McKelvie, seconded by Councillor Paula Fletcher

Summary
This Motion seeks authority to negotiate and enter into a funding agreement with PortsToronto (the "Owner") for the rehabilitation of the Cherry Street Ship Channel bridge approach spans and the Bascule bridge along with the authority to fund, from the approved 2021-2030 Transportation Services Capital Budget, the costs of the design and construction of these works, expected to total approximately $22.0 million over a period expected to be 2021-2025. In addition, and during the same timeframe, PortsToronto will rehabilitate the bridge's lifting mechanisms (mechanical and electrical) at a total cost of approximately $12.0 million.

There is an urgent need to progress this work as the Cherry Street Bascule Bridge is at the end of its service life and urgent repairs have been identified to maintain the Bridge in a safe and operable condition.

The Cherry Street Bascule Bridge located on Cherry Street, south of Polson Street, carries two lanes of traffic (one northbound and one southbound), as well as sidewalks on both sides, over the Ship Channel in the Port of Toronto. The bridge was constructed in 1931 and consists of a 37 metre long Warren Through Truss Bascule span (a lift bridge activated by counterweights) and a 43 metre long steel girder approach span on both the north and south ends. The north end of the bridge has 750-ton concrete counterweights that allow the bridge to pivot to the open position to allow ships to access the channel. The total length of the bridge is 123 metres and the substructure consists of concrete abutments founded on timber piles.​

Back