Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Looks like we may be getting a 2nd Cherry St. south bridge as the preferred plan is to have the LRT loop at Polson St.

Looks like we may be getting a 2nd Cherry St. south bridge as the preferred plan is to have the LRT loop at Polson St.

Not going to be easy to place that LRT bridge over the new Don. It will be costly as well.

That bridge will be a less of a problem and cost a lot less compare to the Commissioner LRT bridge when it comes to placing it.

Big mistake not placing both bridges into position now than down the road.

I had to point out the south Cherry St LRT was missing for the plan extension to Polson Loop at last week meeting and could hear a pin drop after I pointed it out. Polson Loop wasn't even in the plan at the any of this year meeting until last week.

Still a mistake not taking QQE to the current Cherry Loop at the same time.

I just looked at the previous days threads and there is a picture of a concrete base and it's being used for bridge offloading, curious as to why this is required since the 2 concrete ends where the bridge will sit are complete from what I can tell. And if it's just an offloading concrete base does that mean they will smash it when bridge is in place, I am confused. Also this was not needed for the Cherry st. north bridge, I don't think at least.

I just looked at the previous days threads and there is a picture of a concrete base and it's being used for bridge offloading, curious as to why this is required since the 2 concrete ends where the bridge will sit are complete from what I can tell. And if it's just an offloading concrete base does that mean they will smash it when bridge is in place, I am confused. Also this was not needed for the Cherry st. north bridge, I don't think at least.
I think you are looking at the concrete base for the NEXT (eastern) section of the Commissioners Bridge that will be added to the western section when it arrives in November. (The Cherry North bridge(s) only have one section each.)

I think you are looking at the concrete base for the NEXT (eastern) section of the Commissioners Bridge that will be added to the western section when it arrives in November. (The Cherry North bridge(s) only have one section each.)
This is what I was looking at, it says Cherry st. The picture on the left.
1624543777626.png

Yes the pier support for the 2 missing LRT bridges are built and waiting for them, but will require 500-1000 ton cranes to place them after the road bridges are in place.

South Cherry St bridge was to be put into position like the Keating Channel LRT last year later this year with the LRT bridge on the east side of the road bridge. Then the road bridge would be place next. They are about 50% completed in digging the new channel to float the bridge into position this summer.

When time comes to place the LRT bridge, it will be off loaded in the shipping channel and move to the south end pier support by mover. An very large crane will be place on the north side of the new river to lift the bridge off the mover due to the long reach. A 2nd crane will be place on the south end to lift the bridge so the mover can be remove. The bridge will be walk into position very slowly by the south crane while the north crane lift it over the river. Base on the land area for the LRT bridge, its possible the road bridge road will be close for this move.

Doing commissioner bridge is the worse and it has to be put together like the road either in a north-south position or an east-west position. The current road bridge is sitting on the old Commissioner road on supports that will be remove one the 2 sections have become a one piece bridge and lower onto the pier supports. The existing road will then be dug out under the bridge for the new river. This was the plan for the LRT bridge until funding was pull for it.

Because of the span and weight of the LRT bridge, a number of 1000 ton cranes will be require on both sides of the river to move the bridge into position. If the bridge is in an east-west position, this will be the easy of the 2 types of moves to place the bridge over the river, but still not easy to do. There are a few other options that can be use, but all options are costly to place that bridge over the river and will not go into more detail as it too far down the road at this time.

Did everyone think and looked at what would be require to move the 2 missing bridges into position as well the cost to do so before pulling the funding of the bridges?????

Yes the pier support for the 2 missing LRT bridges are built and waiting for them, but will require 500-1000 ton cranes to place them after the road bridges are in place.

South Cherry St bridge is to be put into position like the Keating Channel LRT last year later this year with the LRT bridge on the east side of the road bridge. They are about 50% completed in digging the new channel to float the bridge into position this summer.

When time comes to place the LRT bridge, it will be off loaded in the shipping channel and move to the south end pier support by mover. An very large crane will be place on the north side of the new river to lift the bridge off the mover due to the long reach. A 2nd crane will be place on the south end to lift the bridge so the mover can be remove. The bridge will be walk into position very slowly by the south crane while the north crane lift it over the river. Base on the land area for the LRT bridge, its possible the road bridge road will be close for this move.

Doing commissioner bridge is the worse and it has to be put together like the road either in a north-south position or an east-west position. The current road bridge is sitting on the old Commissioner road on supports that will be remove one the 2 sections have become a one piece bridge and lower onto the pier supports. The existing road will then be dug out under the bridge for the new river. This was the plan for the LRT bridge until funding was pull for it.

Because of the span and weight of the LRT bridge, a number of 1000 ton cranes will be require on both sides of the river to move the bridge into position. If the bridge is in an east-west position, this will be the easy of the 2 types of moves to place the bridge over the river, but still not easy to do. There are a few other options that can be use, but all options are costly to place that bridge over the river and will not go into more detail as it too far down the road at this time.

Did everyone think and looked at what would be require to move the 2 missing bridges into position as well the cost to do so before pulling the funding of the bridges?????

The Commissioner's LRT bridge won't happen for a LONG time - I am not sure if there is a good case for building it right now and have it sit empty for two decades. If you have to fit the project into a budget, not building it now is a no-brainer.

AoD

Last edited:

South Cherry St bridge was to be put into position like the Keating Channel LRT last year later this year with the LRT bridge on the east side of the road bridge. Then the road bridge would be place next. They are about 50% completed in digging the new channel to float the bridge into position this summer.

Wow that is great info, thx for that on the bridges. It's remarkable how much work is involved, as excited I am to have this completed it's quite a complex job.

Once any bridge is delivered by barge, they'll be "floated" by truck into position.

IH-Don-Valley-bridges-bridge-paint-FRONT-mainweb.jpg

From link.
Sorry, but only 2 more bridges will be float into position while the rest will require movers to move them. The Keating and the south Cherry road bridges will be float into position. Cherry bridge this year and Keating in 2022.

The Keating road bridge will be on the west side of the current LRT bridge.

The south Cherry St road bridge is on the west side of the plan LRT bridge and it will prevent the LRT bridge from being floated into position that was plan happen first. You could float the LRT bridge up close to the road bridge and then lift the LRT bridge up and over the road bridge to place it into position. This will require Cherry St to be close for a day or 2 to place the LRT bridge.

With the long lead time for Commissioner St LRT bridge, that will be another storey for others and neither section cannot be float into position. The LRT was to be done like the road bridge and will happen along the way I have already stated.

The dome folks will be the only ones to get shots south of Commissioner St unless you have permission to be on site or doing it illegal on the ground of the elbow as well to the shipping channel.

Back