Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I took the toddler out for a walk on Cherry St last week, and the Polson slip had a cement carrier feeding the Lafarge plant. Those boats are going to be like 50 m away from the edge of the park (where they're turning the Atlas crane into a showpiece). And it's a dirty, messy place.

You are forgetting about the 'cement district' all along the Ship Channel. They get most of their raw material by ship.
Yup. There's a lot of cement in this little square of the portlands.
1616075494199.png

Cement is comparable to salt in volumes coming into the port, ~700,000 metric tonnes.
My confusion in part is knowing there is salt mine in Goderich and several quarries around Ingersoll, both in located in Southern Ontario. So it makes more sense to me to have those materials shipped in overland by train. Then again, I am also poorly assuming that's where our road salt and cement building materials come from. >.<

My confusion in part is knowing there is salt mine in Goderich and several quarries around Ingersoll, both in located in Southern Ontario. So it makes more sense to me to have those materials shipped in overland by train. Then again, I am also poorly assuming that's where our road salt and cement building materials come from. >.<
That is where our road salt comes from, it's just sent via lake freighter.

Goderich-Mine-resized.jpg

https://www.compassminerals.com/who-we-are/locations/goderich-ontario/

One laker can transport the same amount as 700 rail cars or 2,800 trucks. It's still more efficient to ship bulk cargo by vessel than another way (At least at the moment)

One laker can transport the same amount as 700 rail cars or 2,800 trucks. It's still more efficient to ship bulk cargo by vessel than another way (At least at the moment)
Fair enough. But to note, I believe there is a pair of rail tracks that service said mine Mr. 42 linked above. But I've also *witnessed lakers fill up there and haul out there...so I wasn't really sure. Either way, thank you all for clearing that up. /bows

*Note: My folks have weird summer hangouts. One of them was watching ships moving in and out of this facility...that's why I kinda knew about its existence.

Fair enough. But to note, I believe there is a pair of rail tracks that service said mine Mr. 42 linked above. But I've also *witnessed lakers fill up there and haul out there...so I wasn't really sure. Either way, thank you all for clearing that up. /bows

*Note: My folks have weird summer hangouts. One of them was watching ships moving in and out of this facility...that's why I kinda knew about its existence.
Not to prolong this but if you and your folks watched ships coming to and leaving from the salt mines why would you assume salt was sent to another nearby port by rail - particularly since the rail link that passes fairly close to the salt depot on Unwin has not functioned for a decade?

Could we not have a train consist of 700 cars at once?
Sure. It would be like 7 km long and would require like 8 locomotives. It's a waste of resources when other more practical means of transport available.
In certain scenarios, there are trains (300 or so car lengths even up to around 600) that transport iron ore, but those mine sites are usual in landlocked locations, where, other means are not practical. Ironically, these trains end up going to a seaport to be loaded on bulk carriers.

Not to prolong this but if you and your folks watched ships coming to and leaving from the salt mines why would you assume salt was sent to another nearby port by rail - particularly since the rail link that passes fairly close to the salt depot on Unwin has not functioned for a decade?
Because, I was unaware of that? It's been a long sometime since my folks visited there...

...plus, we're tourists, right? We don't live or work there. It's a detail that can be easily overlooked. /shrug

Just like we export oil from Alberta and we import oil into Ontario but it's not coming from Alberta?

Back