Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

When is the next bridge to arrive? And which one? It seems to me they are a little behind on the project I assume it has to do with Covid.
This will definatley be one impressive, desperatley needed part of Toronto. Just wish they would create more islands, I love the bridges and the waterways, something like Chicago has but with a mix of nature thrown in.

When is the next bridge to arrive? And which one? It seems to me they are a little behind on the project I assume it has to do with Covid.
This will definatley be one impressive, desperatley needed part of Toronto. Just wish they would create more islands, I love the bridges and the waterways, something like Chicago has but with a mix of nature thrown in.

From WT's Board of Directors Meeting on Dec. 10: https://waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe/wcm...+10,+2020+(final+for+posting).pdf?MOD=AJPERES

1611777276138.png

Attachments

• 1611777207907.png
    1611777207907.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 218
Would the second Commissioners bridge be put in place when the streetcar line is funded? If it'll happen in the future, how do we know that they'll use the same iconic design for the transit bridge?

Would the second Commissioners bridge be put in place when the streetcar line is funded? If it'll happen in the future, how do we know that they'll use the same iconic design for the transit bridge?
I would question installing the second bridge before the LRT expansion decision has been taken and, at least, partly funded. Of course, if it is not ordered and built now it may not be as stylish but $$ are not growing on trees and it really makes no sense to build it and install it LONG before the LRT may need it. (Unlike making a (single) bridge strong enough to be expanded - i.e. Bloor Viaduct - this bridge is
stand-alone and no harder or more expensive to install later.)

I would question installing the second bridge before the LRT expansion decision has been taken and, at least, partly funded. Of course, if it is not ordered and built now it may not be as stylish but $$ are not growing on trees and it really makes no sense to build it and install it LONG before the LRT may need it. (Unlike making a (single) bridge strong enough to be expanded - i.e. Bloor Viaduct - this bridge is
stand-alone and no harder or more expensive to install later.)
I think that it would be weird if a future transit bridge would be different or cheaper than all the other bridges. I know beauty is subjective, but I think most people can agree that these bridges are beautiful and any future transit bridges should have the same design. The cost is definitely worth it, and we deserve this kind of infrastructure when the streetcar is built.

I think that it would be weird if a future transit bridge would be different or cheaper than all the other bridges. I know beauty is subjective, but I think most people can agree that these bridges are beautiful and any future transit bridges should have the same design. The cost is definitely worth it, and we deserve this kind of infrastructure when the streetcar is built.
Don't know how to click on the links. There are to be FOUR bridges. Start by clicking on this link.
1596740839-20200806-cherrynorth3.jpg

The Cherry Street North Bridge is definitely the most ambitious of the lot, as it will actually be two separate bridges running side-by-side: One for pedestrians, bikes and cars, the other for public transit vehicles exclusively.

I agree that the LRT bridge @ Commissioners should complement the adjacent road bridge BUT really think we have better things to spend those $$ on now. Though I personally think it's a good idea, the LRT in that area is not a firm plan (more a fantasy line!) with no even tentative date or a plan other than lines on a map. We have to have some faith in future generations to realise that putting a cheap utilitarian bridge next to a beautiful one would not be the best plan.

I agree that the LRT bridge @ Commissioners should complement the adjacent road bridge BUT really think we have better things to spend those $$ on now. Though I personally think it's a good idea, the LRT in that area is not a firm plan (more a fantasy line!) with no even tentative date or a plan other than lines on a map. We have to have some faith in future generations to realise that putting a cheap utilitarian bridge next to a beautiful one would not be the best plan.
I would prefer the road bridge to be based on the winning design from an international bridge-design competition or it can be a similar design to the Cherry Street North Beidges.

Cutting corners would not be a good idea in the long term.

Toronto gets rightly criticized for the low quality, low brow, utilitarian nature of our built form. We're slowly demanding better and getting better. Unfortunately, every time something top shelf is proposed/built there's considerable kick back. The resistance to these investments in our city is born from Toronto's blue collar mindset.

I suspect most of us want to build a great metropolis rather than a giant Oshawa. Nice things/quality cost money.

Toronto gets rightly criticized for the low quality, low brow, utilitarian nature of our built form. We're slowly demanding better and getting better. Unfortunately, every time something top shelf is proposed/built there's considerable kick back. The resistance to these investments in our city is born from Toronto's blue collar mindset.

I suspect most of us want to build a great metropolis rather than a giant Oshawa. Nice things/quality cost money.

I don't see that much kickback.

I think a lot of improvements in public realm have been very well received and stimulated demand for more.

Sure, there are questions from time to time about the priorities of the public purse.......

Rightly so when we have so many people homeless; and pre-pandemic issues w/traffic and commute times.

I would argue, of course, that more total $$ to go around is more of the answer, than is fighting over scarce $$

But even if we raised total municipal tax in various ways by 20% , there would still be a need to prioritize; and invariably some chirping over money for aesthetics/art, when other areas need investments too.

That's as it should be. The investments will overwhelmingly withstand scrutiny and go forward.

Last edited:

Back