Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

825161B4-B479-4462-881D-729C0F15811B.jpeg
B2566F58-FC7F-4810-980B-EDD28EFE9236.jpeg

I know it as a huge hangout for carps, grips, painters and others who work at Pinewood and Booth Avenues as well as other local film and television studios. Those people love it for its unpretentiously shabby vibe. In the summer it's pretty nice to be outside, so close to the water. Horses for courses I guess.
I heard from a friend who knows the owner that it will close end of this year. But I will believe it when I see it ...

It will be interesting to see how many of these instant icons will grace the Portlands when the future plays out. I know there are four in the present plans (including the longer twin span which should be a stunner)... early plans suggested a half-dozen or so. I'm ok with 5 total (just so planners know) ;).

It will be interesting to see how many of these instant icons will grace the Portlands when the future plays out. I know there are four in the present plans (including the longer twin span which should be a stunner)... early plans suggested a half-dozen or so. I'm ok with 5 total (just so planners know) ;).

4 in the current round + 2 more in the plans (an additional transit bridge for Cherry South and Commissioners each). I think there are a few pedestrian bridges as well, but I don't think they will be designed as icons.

AoD

I heard from a friend who knows the owner that it will close end of this year. But I will believe it when I see it ...
Could be... it sure is in the realm of possibility. So many bars and restos have been badly beaten up this year and many will never come back. The folks I know who frequent the Keating will simply find another place to have their lunch pints and grub.

Could be... it sure is in the realm of possibility. So many bars and restos have been badly beaten up this year and many will never come back. The folks I know who frequent the Keating will simply find another place to have their lunch pints and grub.
Could be due to pandemic, retirement ... or revitalization work creeping to the east side of Cherry St. ? Again ... just word of mouth from a friend who knows the owner ... but the pubs closure in next few years seems iminent to me.

4 in the current round + 2 more in the plans (an additional transit bridge for Cherry South and Commissioners each). I think there are a few pedestrian bridges as well, but I don't think they will be designed as icons.
AoD

Thx... I was just looking looking at the Phase 2 drawings for Cherry South and Commissioners. There's also the Lakeshore rail bridge "modifications". Wonder if that means re-conditioned/altered, or might there be a new design element...?

EDIT: BTW for those who haven't seen it, there's a great portlandsto.ca pdf with all things bridges (location, design rationale and evolution, future phases etc).

https://portlandsto.ca/wp-content/u...rotectionBridgesSchematicDesignJuly252018.pdf

Last edited:
Could be due to pandemic, retirement ... or revitalization work creeping to the east side of Cherry St. ? Again ... just word of mouth from a friend who knows the owner ... but the pubs closure in next few years seems iminent to me.

I am sure one of the bar chains will be waiting in the wings to scoop up the property if possible and the property isn't enveloped by the revitalization work. Cherry St BBQ another one who probably cannot wait for this developement to be done! They seem have a pretty good stream of customers as it is so they should survive (hopefully)

Thx... I was just looking looking at the Phase 2 drawings for Cherry South and Commissioners. There's also the Lakeshore rail bridge "modifications". Wonder if that means re-conditioned/altered, or might there be a new design element...?

That's a functional bridge:

1605285222284.png

AoD

^^ So let's go with the "Accelerated Option" (rebuild)... so Calatrava can oversee both his Portlands bridges ... the 2nd being his south hybrid cable-stayed beauty (with swing portion) linking to the Island(s). :)
The bridge is currently unused and blocked off as the fate of the rail line to the Ashbridges Sewage Plant is under study (because CreateTO and the City allowed the Canada Post sorting station on Leslie to be built on top of it without working out an alternative first!) It was significantly repaired about 2 years ago and is certainly still in good condition but currently it's blocked off just west of the Don.

Back