Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

FE3931AA-F852-449A-914A-6139B8B049BC.jpeg

I don't know about this, and with all due respect...it's up there with making Zug Island or the Hamilton steel mills a heritage designation. Perhaps I'm missing some the point here.
I dunno - I really like the idea of having the Atlas crane remain. It's cool, and a part of the Waterfront's industrial heritage. NYC did the same in Red Hook, and it looks pretty awesome. Toronto's talking about doing the same sorta thing with the Canada Malting Silos around Bathurst.

I dunno - I really like the idea of having the Atlas crane remain. It's cool, and a part of the Waterfront's industrial heritage. NYC did the same in Red Hook, and it looks pretty awesome. Toronto's talking about doing the same sorta thing with the Canada Malting Silos around Bathurst.

Me too; Toronto is so shy of urbanistic defining features (or, really, genuine uniqueness of any kind -- I'm hard pressed to think of anything other than the ravines and the Islands, which are both woefully under-appreciated in terms of civic attention and investment), so more or less any time we can hang onto something that's a bit different or offbeat or unique, I'm open to it.

Last edited:
The last I heard, the movement of the bridge was to start around 5-6 pm that would see the barge sunk first. The barge needs to be lower to allow the bridge to move counter clockwise on the barge turntable.

Cables from the north side were attached to the barge around 3:30 to allow it to be centre in the channel.

The barge is supposed to be from the Netherlands.

A fair number of pieces for the of steel work was fabricated in the Netherlands and ship to Nova Scotia to be assembly and welded in place before being ship here.

Me too; Toronto is so shy of urbanistic defining features (or, really, genuine uniqueness of any kind -- I'm hard pressed to think of anything other than the ravines and the Islands, which are both woefully under-appreciated in terms of civic attention and investment), so more or less any time we can hang onto something that's a bit different or offbeat or unique, I'm open to it.
Then I almost forgot about this thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundidora_Park

...which I am pretty sure isn't the only example of industrial structures turned into park museum pieces around.

So I retract my conceited concerns and sit embarrassingly corrected. I should have known better, sorry. :(

I'd put money on it happening tomorrow. I was just there 10 minutes ago and the bridge hasn't moved, nor the barge centred in the channel. There appeared to only be 2-3 workers on site.
815pm ... nothing yet from our balcony in Distillery. Will check every few hours throughout the night

Nov 9
Unedited photos. May have Nov 7 & 9 done in the next day or so as I am still doing Nov 6 shots.

Lots of drivers stopping on the bridge to take photos of the new bridge. No police on site for all 3 days.
50584725013_5a1a9fa81d_b.jpg

50585587717_4d52446e57_b.jpg

50584724033_b85738bd38_b.jpg

50585586622_28fd02709e_b.jpg

50585585772_f3f3ffe01a_b.jpg

Back