Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Another view of the bridge:

Ek260A1W0AoMwMQ.jpg

I note with interest that the plans still seem to show the rail spur. running east of the Don. I find this a bit odd as it is currently 'disconnected" and the only traffic that used it (to the Water Treatment plant) is now done by trucks as the new Canada Post building on Leslie & Commissioners was built on top of the rails. CreateTO had hoped to move them onto road but when they actually looked at that it was apparently not possible due to utilities. Last I heard Ports Toronto and CreateTO were working on officially shutting the spur - at least east of the rail yard immediately east of the Don Roadway. (The Keating Yard).

I note with interest that the plans still seem to show the rail spur. running east of the Don. I find this a bit odd as it is currently 'disconnected" and the only traffic that used it (to the Water Treatment plant) is now done by trucks as the new Canada Post building on Leslie & Commissioners was built on top of the rails. CreateTO had hoped to move them onto road but when they actually looked at that it was apparently not possible due to utilities. Last I heard Ports Toronto and CreateTO were working on officially shutting the spur - at least east of the rail yard immediately east of the Don Roadway. (The Keating Yard).

While I was wokring on the East Harbour Master Plan project it was noted that it had to remain in working order, so it must still be used.

While I was wokring on the East Harbour Master Plan project it was noted that it had to remain in working order, so it must still be used.
It cannot be used as there are no rails south of Commissioners Street and they have put a 'block' on tracks on east side of the Don Bridge. Clearly CreateTO and the City screwed up by allowing the CanadaPost guys to build on the rails and now I think everyone is scurrying around to find someone to blame and, ideally, shut the whole damn thing.

A couple of notes and images from the above-linked presentation:

This is only the trees and large shrubs, many other plants listed separately.

1603409541820.png

I have serious complaints about the third one down, marked AG. This tree is the European Alder, and is a non-native invasive

Black Locust marked as RP is also a non-native invasive.

The rest of the list is pretty decent..........even if someone didn't spell everything correctly on it......

I am curious about the choice of Yellow Birch mind you. That species tends to like its feet damp. The rest of the species on this list don't really go with it.

They are clearly envisioning a pseudo-natural landscape in some of the boulevard areas:

1603410079154.png

1603410195448.png

Rest of the plant list here: I need to read this more and will comment shortly.

1603410298967.png

A couple of pictures of the test plot on Lakeshore @ Bonnycastle.

1603410362453.png

Stupid question regarding the first bridge: I believe some of the larger multi-use bridges will host transit/auto/cycle/pedestrians, but will this little guy only be auto/cycle/pedestrians?

Was hoping to nickname it the TTC bridge... even looks like the logo ;).

1024px-TTC.svg.png

Link

First Bridge
1024px-TTC.svg copy.png
*Apologies for the flip TTC. My company is called Upside-Down.

So, I've had a chance to review the smaller shrubs and wildflowers proposed.

Nothing is egregious.

Though lots are cultivars (not true natives) and a few are a tad....ummm..........goofy.

But....overall, on balance...none I would make a big fuss about; given that these are alternatives to plain, ordinary sod.

There are actually some very good plants in the mix from Bee Balm to Wild Columbine.

But the 2 non-native, invasive tree species really need to go.

And I'm really challenged to see how Yellow Birch will work.

So, I've had a chance to review the smaller shrubs and wildflowers proposed.

Nothing is egregious.

Though lots are cultivars (not true natives) and a few are a tad....ummm..........goofy.

But....overall, on balance...none I would make a big fuss about; given that these are alternatives to plain, ordinary sod.

There are actually some very good plants in the mix from Bee Balm to Wild Columbine.

But the 2 non-native, invasive tree species really need to go.

And I'm really challenged to see how Yellow Birch will work.
I wonder why black locust is chosen. I have a managed forest east of Toronto that has been planted for habitat restoration for 36 years. Upon the advice of the local conservation authority several non-natives have been planted over the years. One species that I regret planting is black locust as it spreads like crazy. I don't even want to mention some of the other non-natives that were planted over the years that are invasive and don't support native fauna well at all. And, much thanks to Northern Light; overall he is quite right in his assessments.

Back