Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I too would prefer them to move to the :Cement Campus" at east end of the Ship Channel but they will go (somewhere) in time. Best we concentrate on the work and the park north of the Ship Channel until THAT gets done. Even if someone expropriated Lafarge there are not likely to be $$ to actually DO anything with it and the other privately-owned land adjacent.

Agree - excellence in execution in the north side will create pressure to implement the same on the south.

AoD

As I've said before, the government should expropriate the LaFarge property for refusing to negotiate in good faith and choosing to be an obstacle to this critical city-building initiative.
Wait, does the LaFarge lands include Cabana Pool Bar? Would LOVE to see that testosterone filled fight club wiped off the map of the city.

Wait, does the LaFarge lands include Cabana Pool Bar? Would LOVE to see that testosterone filled fight club wiped off the map of the city.
There are several landowners in the quadrant west of Cherry and south of the new park and Polson Slip (and new river) including Lafarge & Rebel. Then there is the Ship Channel with more landowners south of it, including (or only?) Ports Toronto.

Last edited:
Let's hope Rebel doesn't disappear, just undergoes new management to make it less...aggro. Toronto needs a music venue of that size somewhere in central-ish Toronto to accommodate (dance) musical acts with more medium-ish audience sizes/

Let's hope Rebel doesn't disappear, just undergoes new management to make it less...aggro. Toronto needs a music venue of that size somewhere in central-ish Toronto to accommodate (dance) musical acts with more medium-ish audience sizes/

...and accessible by public transit.

Agreed. I actually gave up a job at the RCYC because I would have had a loooooooooooooong walk from the nearest transit stop.

Would like to see them build the streetcar line extensions first at the same time. They used to do that in the 1910's.

f1231_it0439.jpg

Gerrard Street track laying, 1911. From link.

s0372_ss0020_it0008.jpg

Danforth Ave looking east from point east of Pape Ave, 1913. From link.

Once the bridge is in place, the Cherry streetcar line should be extended into the Portlands, looping at Cherry beach.
There is no new bridge over the Ship Channel - of course, streetcars can go over lift-bridges (e.g. Amsterdam) but I doubt most (any) of us will live to see a streetcar south of the SC. Toronto is clearly incapable of building transit where it is REALLY needed now (Queen's Quay East to Union Station for example.)

There is no new bridge over the Ship Channel - of course, streetcars can go over lift-bridges (e.g. Amsterdam) but I doubt most (any) of us will live to see a streetcar south of the SC. Toronto is clearly incapable of building transit where it is REALLY needed now (Queen's Quay East to Union Station for example.)

The initial streetcar extensions would stop before the Ship Channel. In the future, there should be protected right-of-way available, but not initially installed.

transitnetwork.jpg

From link.

Back