Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Interesting stuff. However from a cycling perspective, I'm a little baffled by Commissioners Street where the plan is to put the Eastbound cycletrack within the no-man's-land between the roadway and the transitway. This creates a number of otherwise avoidable crossings with vehicular traffic for no good reason that I'm aware of. If the westbound cycletrack is next to the sidewalk, why can't the same be done for the eastbound one? Or alternatively, convert the westbound track on the north side of the street into a bidirectional one.

And then over here we have up to three separate crossings in a single intersection for cyclists and pedestrians, in a location that will not be constrained by the Gardiner Expressway in a few years. Is this really the best that can be done?

Attachments

• 1569874481874.png
    1569874481874.png
    366.7 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:

An absolute 'no' to me on the inclusion of this tree

I see no reason to bother, it's non-native and personally, I don't find it terribly attractive and it won't help meet canopy goals.

If one want a deciduous species, any of Red, White or Bur Oak would do just fine in these planting conditions.

Alternatively, there is no reason one can't use conifers, especially with very wide planting areas; any of White Spruce , Eastern White Cedar or Red Cedar would do just fine.

White Pine is a bit more salt sensitive, but in these planters (wider ones) they might well manage quite passably.

An absolute 'no' to me on the inclusion of this tree

View attachment 206486

I see no reason to bother, it's non-native and personally, I don't find it terribly attractive and it won't help meet canopy goals.

If one want a deciduous species, any of Red, White or Bur Oak would do just fine in these planting conditions.

Alternatively, there is no reason one can't use conifers, especially with very wide planting areas; any of White Spruce , Eastern White Cedar or Red Cedar would do just fine.

White Pine is a bit more salt sensitive, but in these planters (wider ones) they might well manage quite passably.
Please write to them, this type of matter goes over the heads of most, and unnoticed by others, but it is important nonetheless.

This area should be a shining example of sustainability and native plant use.

I am assuming, using the excellent photo from @skycandy - thanks! That the new course of the Don will follow the arrow from where the Don now makes that sharp right turn just north of Villiers Street and then east of the Ports Toronto sheds on Villiers Street and across Commissioners Street to connect. Yes?
donriver.jpg

@DSC I think the bend is out of the frame further to the east. You can see the temporary barrier walls of the river valley that will be broken down when the excavation further east is complete.

AoD

Last edited:
Reactions: DSC
Looking at that picture, I do wonder if future planning will relax on the heights and densities here. If it is supported by WWLRT and/or Cherry Streetcar, and with East Harbour nearby, this area can probably justify highrises like the East Bayfront.

Back