Toronto Love Park | 3m | 1s | City of Toronto | CCxA

Ugh! I remember going on a school trip to the Royal Alex in the mid ‘80s - almost the entire block west of Roy Thomson Hall between King & Wellington (and maybe south of Wellington too) was a giant parking lot. The good old days indeed!

We're probably a similar age, but with me just a few years older; I can (barely) remember when those parking lots were still (partially) a rail yard.

Roy Thomson Hall was the CP Express Building site.

This crossing of Front, by Spadina was still active when I was very little (late 70s, perhaps just past '80?)

1670967570385.png

From: http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/CPR_Toronto/King_Street.htm

That train was headed here, to the yard that became the parking you remember:

1670967692487.png

Same link as above!

View attachment 444958

Same link as above!

Fascinating stuff. I always wonder what was in the safe that was found in the mystery room in the tunnel at the Canadian Pacific property. The safe disappeared during the demolition and was never found. Also, the covered freight platform you see in this photo is really cool.

Last edited:
We're probably a similar age, but with me just a few years older; I can (barely) remember when those parking lots were still (partially) a rail yard.

Roy Thomson Hall was the CP Express Building site.

This crossing of Front, by Spadina was still active when I was very little (late 70s, perhaps just past '80?)

View attachment 444957
From: http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/CPR_Toronto/King_Street.htm

View attachment 444958

Same link as above!
I don’t remember that, not because I was too young, but because I didn’t live in Toronto then. Level crossings downtown - kinda like Sudbury today.

The plan for partially opening of the park will not happen due to various issues with an official now opening in May/June, depending on the outstanding work still to be done. A fair number of items stolen from site during the process that was one if things delaying the project was well strikes and supple chain.

The Pumphouse is being built now that will house the interior work that will take place over the winter months with a spring testing of the system.

The pouring of the base of the pond is a day by day thing base on the weather. In the spring, the stonework will be mortar to to the base so people cannot walk in the pond.

The building of the rest of the granite sidewalk will take place under heated tents

Final planting will take place in the spring including the Ivy on the trellis that will be fast growing material.

One berm will not be cover until all the work is done that requires equipment to go over it to do the work.

The bronze animal figures are about 90% complete with the city holding onto the molds to either replace them for what every reason to adding a few more. There will be steel rods to anchor them down in to concrete so no one can steal them and be install in the spring. The final location is being worked on at this time.

The stone work at the base of the moais tiles is supposed to stop skateboards and there are backup plans if it fails

Since you cannot see the heart shape of the pond at grade level, I would recommend an arial view of the area once it finish as a place map located at a number of locations along where things are located on it, as well as for taking wedding photos.

All run off water will go into a reservoir under the park to help the trees and plants as well not entering the city storm water system or onto other property.

One thing that can delay this opening is our famous Toronto Hydro who still has to install aluminum light poles, the transformer as well any other electrical work.

All the material for the benches are on hand to be install in the spring. Love Park on the base of the bench supports

Assuming they will be back at it tomorrow. Pictures from Jan 1.
17928277-9B10-48D9-8BE0-1AEE4AA5BE27.jpeg

D31770DC-437B-49A8-A43B-AF1DB801CBFC.jpeg

85A127CD-349E-4D02-9182-40ED41DCE712.jpeg

8A4618F2-4C60-4222-8D85-50B885540583.jpeg

E69934D3-95DB-4A95-83D9-B84F6F757F02.jpeg

C483D2C3-582F-4FFA-8FCA-E64B7B378134.jpeg

A24D475C-5447-494C-88F7-4930A540ED12.jpeg

Seeing the beautiful new grass is very satisfying, but I wonder given the location, how long it will last. Even the park closest to me, St. James, the grass has been damaged quite a bit due to the increase of pandemic dogs. Provided the amount of tourism at that specific corner, I would hope people wouldn't abuse the lawn, but seems unlikely. Hopefully it's resilient.

Seeing the beautiful new grass is very satisfying, but I wonder given the location, how long it will last. Even the park closest to me, St. James, the grass has been damaged quite a bit due to the increase of pandemic dogs. Provided the amount of tourism at that specific corner, I would hope people wouldn't abuse the lawn, but seems unlikely. Hopefully it's resilient.
How do other cities do it? Do parks in Montreal, NYC, Chicago, London, Paris, etc. have damaged grass due to dogs as well? Serious question, not trying to be snide. Surely we're not the only city with irresponsible dog owners.

How do other cities do it? Do parks in Montreal, NYC, Chicago, London, Paris, etc. have damaged grass due to dogs as well? Serious question, not trying to be snide. Surely we're not the only city with irresponsible dog owners.

Here's Vancouver for you:

See section 2.5 (p.29)

Here's an interesting study that suggests considering a different variety of grass:

There's a study underway in NYC currently looking at alternative ground covers to deal w/this issue:

In general, the issue is not dog urine per se, it's volume and concentration of same. There are several ways to mitigate this.

a) Create a place for the dog to pee that will not damage plants/grasses. (dedicated DOLA, dogs-off-leash-area), or Pet Relief area).

b) For parks w/o this, consider the use of non-living wooden or other poles that may attract said behavior, and surround them non-plant material or urine-resistant plants.

c) Create multiple points for this behavior to diffuse concentration.

d) Use irrigation to diffuse concentration. (only works up to a certain point)

e) employ measures which restrict pet access or discourage pet access to certain spaces. (use of fences, low or high, seats, hedges or other treatments) (these also work to discourage 'desire lines')

f) make sure plant areas are well established prior to letting dogs or people have access (difficult as people get irked seeing a complete park that is fenced off), but the virtue is that larger root systems and more established plants will generally have higher reliance.

Here's Vancouver for you:

See section 2.5 (p.29)

Here's an interesting study that suggests considering a different variety of grass:

There's a study underway in NYC currently looking at alternative ground covers to deal w/this issue:

In general, the issue is not dog urine per se, it's volume and concentration of same. There are several ways to mitigate this.

a) Create a place for the dog to pee that will not damage plants/grasses. (dedicated DOLA, dogs-off-leash-area), or Pet Relief area).

b) For parks w/o this, consider the use of non-living wooden or other poles that may attract said behavior, and surround them non-plant material or urine-resistant plants.

c) Create multiple points for this behavior to diffuse concentration.

d) Use irrigation to diffuse concentration. (only works up to a certain point)

e) employ measures which restrict pet access or discourage pet access to certain spaces. (use of fences, low or high, seats, hedges or other treatments) (these also work to discourage 'desire lines')

f) make sure plant areas are well established prior to letting dogs or people have access (difficult as people get irked seeing a complete park that is fenced off), but the virtue is that larger root systems and more established plants will generally have higher reliance.
Love Park will have a DOLA, but that doesn't mean dog owners will let their dogs pee only within the DOLA, as can be seen from damages at other parks with DOLAs (Berczy, Grange Park, etc.). When I went to Manhattan last summer, I saw that their smaller parks (Madison Square, Washington Square among others) were generally well-maintained - none of these large patches of dead grass that we see here. I doubt that Manhattan dog owners are a lot more responsible than ours. Could it be that NYC have the funds and civic pride to maintain their parks and we don't?

Love Park will have a DOLA, but that doesn't mean dog owners will let their dogs pee only within the DOLA, as can be seen from damages at other parks with DOLAs (Berczy, Grange Park, etc.). When I went to Manhattan last summer, I saw that their smaller parks (Madison Square, Washington Square among others) were generally well-maintained - none of these large patches of dead grass that we see here. I doubt that Manhattan dog owners are a lot more responsible than ours. Could it be that NYC have the funds and civic pride to maintain their parks and we don't?

Note that Madison Park was the one running the experiment I linked to above. So I think it's safe to assume they are facing challenges.

The park has a conservancy, which likely answers your question. A conservancy means they have funds independent of, and in addition to those than NYC provides.

Get a load of the staff chart dedicated to this park alone:

Toronto does not employ the conservancy model for any parks.

Toronto Botanical Garden is attempting to become the closest thing we might have.

Note that parks inequity is a big issue in NYC. Parks in affluent areas are much better maintained than those in low-income ones.

For every sparking Madison Square Park, there is a Horace Harding Playground

1672718763789.png

Or an Annadale Playground.

1672718927222.png

Both of the above are in Brooklyn.

Don't be fooled too easily by the showy spots. It would be like coming to Toronto and seeing Yorkville Park on Cumberland, or Berczy and then saying "Look at these lavish parks Toronto builds....."

Last edited:
Note that Madison Park was the one running the experiment I linked to above. So I think it's safe to assume they are facing challenges.

The park has a conservancy, which likely answers your question. A conservancy means they have funds independent of, and in addition to those than NYC provides.

Get a load of the staff chart dedicated to this park alone:

Toronto does not employ the conservancy model for any parks.

Toronto Botanical Garden is attempting to become the closest thing we might have.

Note that parks inequity is a big issue in NYC. Parks in affluent areas are much better maintained than those in low-income ones.

For every sparking Madison Square Park, there is a Horace Harding Playground

View attachment 448283

Or an Annadale Playground.

View attachment 448284

Both of the above are in Brooklyn.

Don't be fooled to easily by the showy spots. It would be like coming to Toronto and seeing Yorkville Park on Cumberland, or Berczy and then saying "Look at these lavish parks Toronto builds....."
I'm not surprised about the parks inequity issue in NYC or other American cities. Their showpiece (usually, but not always) downtown areas are vastly superior to ours, but you only have to walk a few blocks to see deprivations that would rival Vancouver's East Hastings. But that doesn't mean we should skimp on maintaining our parks in the name of equity. If conservancy is the way to do it, I'm more than willing to chip in my share - only I don't want to get involved in organizational politics (which seems to be inevitable in these cases).

I'm not surprised about the parks inequity issue in NYC or other American cities. Their showpiece (usually, but not always) downtown areas are vastly superior to ours, but you only have to walk a few blocks to see deprivations that would rival Vancouver's East Hastings. But that doesn't mean we should skimp on maintaining our parks in the name of equity. If conservancy is the way to do it, I'm more than willing to chip in my share - only I don't want to get involved in organizational politics (which seems to be inevitable in these cases).

Toronto does under fund parks. Period. By a lot. Both operationally and capitally.

Parks, Forestry and Recreation does itself no favours in this regard, both through some incredibly bad spending decisions/designs, which I have reviewed extensively in regard to parks over in the problematic design thread, but also some internal and external cultural challenges.

Parks does not a do a good job of fostering external voices who could champion its spaces (Conservancies are one way to do that, but not the only model).

In general PF and R makes life difficult for those who would volunteer or even donate to improve a space rather than making it easy and inviting.

That choice confounds me, as it does not serve the best interest of the department or its staff.

Be that as it may, Parks has had an unfunded backlog of work it knows needs doing for two generations. David Miller was the last to make a vague attempt at getting it whittled down, but frankly didn't do
as much as he ought to have and still left parks with a big backlog of work upon his exit. But every other Mayor has seen the backlog materially increase.

Parks has largely been quiet in the face of an unending assault on its ability to maintain its spaces, dutifully cutting back on lawn mowing, and surrendering garbage pick-up responsibilities to waste management (who gave us the current ugly receptacles).

It's too long a diatribe here to itemize all the issues; but let's be blunt, we need to provide the department a lot more money; we need to let/mandate the department to accept more outside help, in money and in kind, we need to set higher standards, we need greater accountability and we need a change in leadership at the top.

That would be a good place to start.

I would only then add, as noted above, for all Toronto's challenges, many other places face similar ones. The details vary, but the gist is often similar; and the grass, collectively, is rarely greener.

Last edited:
...and yet we cry out for more parks to be built. And building more parks even. /sigh

...and yet we cry out for more parks to be built. And building more parks even. /sigh

There is a need for more park space, even as too much of what's there is underfunded. The City is growing exponentially and buying land is unlikely to get any cheaper. There is also a dedicated power (S.42) that requires parkland or cash-in-lieu from most large rezoning applications.

The thing is, Parks needs to improve its technical expertise in design; both to elevate it, but also to be conscious how it will be maintained in real-word conditions. The cost of that maintenance needs to be funded by Council, each and every time a new park is approved.

Last edited:

Back