Toronto Love Park | 3m | 1s | City of Toronto | CCxA

Love, unbent.

PXL_20210910_234735100.NIGHT.jpg

Didn't notice how blurred this panorama was when posted from my phone.
PXL_20210910_234853069.PANO.jpg

Starting the week of Oct 26 to the opening of the park, the east side of York St will be close to pedestrians for the removal of it. It will be rebuilt using concrete and granite. At the same time, Harbour sidewalk will be reduce to 1.77 m with the fencing being move north from current location.

Beginning Nov and for 4-6 weeks, shoring will be taking place for the underground equipment room that will see a floor and waterproofing taking place and then the building of the walls.

Removal of existing soil underway and excavation will follow for digging various utilities and then the building of the pond.

New artwork has been place on the hording

Protect is on schedule

Waterfront Toronto began work on York Street Park (Love Park) in July 2021, which will be a 2-acre park located at the southern foot of York Street and Queens Quay West in the southern Financial District and Harbourfront neighbourhood.

On November 2, our contractor for York Street Park, Somerville Construction, will begin drilling, excavation and shoring work for caissons needed to create a stable base for the services building in the park.

Drilling work for the caissons is expected to take 4-6 weeks. All construction work will take place between the hours of 7am-7pm Monday to Friday in compliance with the City’s noise By-law.

Increased noise is expected during the drilling, as well as an increase in construction vehicle traffic, including drilling rigs.

Please circulate this information to the networks you represent to help keep them informed. Attached is a PDF copy of the construction notice. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to follow up with us.

Waterfront Toronto will continue to provide construction updates as plans are finalized and work progresses.

Still keeping an eye out for the potential naming of this park - because I hate both of the current names (York St Park or Love Park) 🤣
When I asked about it earlier this year -
An official name has not yet been assigned to the park. It's my understanding that parks are currently not being named while the City reviews its naming policies and procedures. I don't know how long that review will take.
South Core Square would be my personal suggestion :)

Last edited:
Except this isn't really a square - and it sounded like something that would come out of a corporation. I am sure we can find some worthy Torontonians to name it after.

AoD
There's a great many parks named Square! It's a square shape, after all.
We agree that the current names aren't great though? :)

^Love Square is appropriately catchy in this Instagram era, but for those who think it's too cute, how about Claude Cormier Square? (I think at this point he deserves to have something named after him.)

There's a great many parks named Square! It's a square shape, after all.
We agree that the current names aren't great though? :)

Square in an urban design sense of the word (not shape) ;). I think "Love Park" is more a name for the designer's proposal. Maybe they should name it after some historic champions of waterfront development in the city?

Anyhow, Love Park sounds cheesy, so maybe we can call it Parc de l'amour instead.

AoD

Last edited:

Back