Toronto Logan Residences | 25.91m | 6s | Daniels | GAT Arch

ChesterCopperpot

Member Bio
Reaction score
https://springrealty.ca/developers-buying-smaller-lots-with-focus-on-end-users/

One does not simply conduct an environmental assessment on land unless you’re selling or developing. Well, on March 30th we noticed an assessment happening on the Jim’s Restaurant & Anchored Social Club garage lot and sure enough, we found out that the sale closed just a few short weeks ago. Bye bye Jim’s Restaurant.

The parcel at 887 Queen Street East formerly owned by local Real Estate Lawyer, Mitch Korman has recently been sold to a surprise developer. We knew it was in the hands of a developer but were surprised to find out that Daniels, one of Toronto’s largest development companies has their hands on this tiny lot. I mean these guys have developed billions of dollars of Toronto Real Estate in North York, Regent Park, Mississauga, and our East Portlands are next. Why would they be interested in our little community?

We assumed they were attempting to assemble the whole block but according to our source, they’re only interested in this garage lot.

A source close to the deal said:

…a very small lot indeed, although a lot of bigger developers are looking at these smaller sites now. They’re likely looking at a 6-7 storey condo building here.

The corner of Logan and Queen is already a hotbed of activity but the redevelopment of the Red Door site on the SW corner and now this potential development is going to bring much needed street traffic to help the local businesses thrive. If you haven’t been to Jim’s Restaurant, go. Their breakfast is a perfect cure for a late night out and won’t break the bank either.

Leslieville isn’t an easy place to develop. Just ask those guys at Kartelle and Rockport about their projects. We hope to see some forward thinking design, community minded development, and respect for our density regulations as this progresses through the various planning stages.

The address in the report is wrong as 887 Queen East is already part of the Red Door Shelter development site.

Can't say as I'm surprised, given the prime location. Jim's is the real deal but... its food isn't great, I go there for the ambience, the vibe. It's a bit of the old Queen East in a time where the whole strip is rapidly changing up. Many won't be sad to see it go, but I will, in a way. I won't mourn another auto place going under, though. Plenty of 'em still left.

Very much interested now in seeing renderings of what they plan for the site. It's also tall for the immediate area, so I'm wondering if the same kind of community opposition that's arisen for projects further east, near Greenwood, will happen here.

Different situation over at Greenwood. Saying that, 7 stories have been approved a stone's throw west of here at Queen and Logan.

Hey, I'm not opposed to the height at Queen and Logan, either. Over at Greenwood, the opposition to that project was certainly vocal, so I was wondering if the same thing would't be happening at Queen and Logan. Maybe the difference is that stretch of Greenwood being primarily residential with pretty sleepy low-rise retail, whereas Queen Street further west has been perking up for some time now.

897 QUEEN ST E
Ward 30 - Tor & E.York District

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentApplications/associatedApplicationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=3815053&isCofASearch=false

The Applicant, Daniels Leslieville Corporation, has submitted rezoning (File #15 214416 STE 30 OZ) and site plan (File #15 214418 STE 30 SA) applications to permit the development of a 6 storey mixed-use building, with a maximum height of 19.85 metres (23.1 metres to the roof of the mechanical penthouse) and a maximum FSI of 3.83. The proposed building will maintain at grade retail fronting Queen Street East, three grade-related residential units fronting onto the public laneway to the south and 5 storeys of residential units above. In total, 73 residential units are proposed, with a gross floor area of approximately 5353.5 square meters and 372 square metres of retail at grade. The proposal includes 36 parking spaces in one level of below-grade parking and 3 surface parking spaces provided at grade, with access from the public laneway, for a total of 39 parking spaces provided overall. The proposal also includes 95 resident and visitor bicycle parking spaces located at-grade.

This should be approved pretty easily

urbanation tweeted this:

CP1xlueWwAAW27H.jpg

I like that. Reminds me of the lower portion of Berczy and the loft building at Dominion and Queen.

Yeah, that looks good. I like that glass up top. Wonder what kind of retail will go in there at street level, where signage signage signage is.

I meant to post this a while ago...
Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 5.48.10 PM.png

Revised Submission Received on December 21, 2015

Daniels Leslieville Corp. have submitted rezoning (File #15 214416 STE 30 OZ) and site plan (File #15 214418 STE 30 SA) applications to permit the development of a 6 storey mixed-use building, with a maximum height of 20.0 metres (23.2 metres to the roof of the mechanical penthouse) and a maximum FSI of 3.79. The proposed building will maintain at grade retail fronting Queen Street East, three grade-related residential units fronting onto the public laneway to the south and 5 storeys of residential units above. In total, 69 residential units are proposed, with a gross floor area of approximately 5350.9 square meters and 319.6 square metres of retail at grade. The proposal includes 36 parking spaces in one level of below-grade parking, which includes 4 visitor parking spaces. The proposal also includes 86 bicycle parking spaces located at grade, which includes 12 visitor bike parking spaces.

Kinda' has a 261 king st east vibe... although it's doing that weird Toronto thing where you see a faux façadism treatment of a new build, with a modern-like addition on the top. I'd love to see a developer do something like this/the Abbey Lane lofts but taller!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 5.48.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 5.48.10 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,024
The main floor is too low. At minimum the signage should me moved up onto the black band and the window heights increased below the band, but preferably that floor should be a metre taller, minimum. The whole building looks like it has pancaked on that squished ground level.

Yeah, that's the one aspect of the design I find peculiar... and unfortunate. Looks squished and downplays the retail opportunities at street level. It's the presence of that thick dark band at the top of the first floor which conveys that look of compression.

Back