Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

Toronto's insecurities are not as invisible as many seem to think they are. You don't have to be here too long before you start to get the picture... and yes, many are baffled by it!

It's funny how it's always the same people who want to talk about alleged insecurities. Kinda like if you say it enough, it'll be true.

My sister (assistant editor at Toronto Life) is hearing good things about momofuku. I personally hope that it lives up to its expectations over the long term - I need to make a point of getting a table and having some ramen and a pork bun. Sounds amazing

From Shangri-La's facebook The 64 foot lap pool at Shangri-La Hotel,

34e9bfs.jpg

I dropped by that noodle place this morning and picked up a copy of their rather skimpy menu, and the whole idea of the place, for a restaurant that's associated with what's promoted as a major hotel, strikes me as a particularly meagre offering to our city.

Will try Chancre-La's afternoon tea soon, though!

I dropped by that noodle place this morning and picked up a copy of their rather skimpy menu, and the whole idea of the place, for a restaurant that's associated with what's promoted as a major hotel, strikes me as a particularly meagre offering to our city.

I went today for lunch and it was great! Beautiful and sleek inside and the food is pretty good.

There are 3 other Momofuku restaurants opening soon, whose menus have more depth and offerings. Opening up with Noodle Bar is a good choice in my opinion, as its prices are relatively affordable, which should help get people into the place who may otherwise think the Shangri-La and its restaurant offerings are too expensive by default.

I went today for lunch and it was great! Beautiful and sleek inside and the food is pretty good.

My son and I dropped by around 3:30 yesterday, but were told just inside the door, that it was closed between lunch and dinner, even though there were people there and some empty tables. I asked if we could just get a drink as we had trekked some distance doing the downtown tour, and was brusquely told no. My son said he would not be returning. Maybe it's just growing/opening pains, but the vibe was not good.

This first picture tries, and fails, to convey how much streetlife there is along the University Avenue frontage of the Shangri La development. It should be further enlivened when the patio on the southeast corner overlooking the intersection of University and Richmond is opened. I got a quick look inside the Soho Club (old Bishop's Block) which looks very, very well decorated. On a side note, I waited the hour to get into Momofuko's Noodle Bar and had the best Ramen noodles ever concieved; I will definately be back! The atmosphere is buzzy and fun.

IMG04571-XL.jpg

Back