Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

From July 1

Shangri-La_filtered_small.jpg

Attachments

• Shangri-La_filtered_small.jpg
    Shangri-La_filtered_small.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,044
Taken today:
IMO, Shangri-la the most beautiful Toronto skyscraper built in the last decade.

Great shots. I'm a big fan too, the only thing I'm not crazy about are the windows on those four upper suites on the west side plus the roof looks like a mess from a distance - but that's all very forgivable.

Steveve...

In the past 3 years your photography has really evolved. Every one of those is a keeper.

What was your vantage point for the high ones?

Keep. it. up.

thanks, I've actually been using my phone to take photos as of late instead of my point and shoot. (i've taken photography laziness to another level). glad you liked the pics. the last 2 were from the 54th floor of the TD Centre

I find it ironic how so many members of this forum claim that Vancouver is an architectural disaster, and yet this building is unanimously regarded as one of the best in Toronto. In my opinion, this building represents Vancouver very well; understated, elegant, high quality, and a near perfect public realm. Yes, there's much more to architecture than pretty curves.

I find it ironic how so many members of this forum claim that Vancouver is an architectural disaster, and yet this building is unanimously regarded as one of the best in Toronto. In my opinion, this building represents Vancouver very well; understated, elegant, high quality, and a near perfect public realm. Yes, there's much more to architecture than pretty curves.

Actually, no one has said that Vancouver is an architectural disaster. Many, however, regard its high-rise architecture as bland and repetitive. The skyline looks like a wall of grey glass. This building is among the best built in this development cycle for its quality execution, but there are a number of Toronto skyscrapers that are better. The design is too subtle and understated--you could easily miss the signature angled glass from many perspectives. That's not to say it's a failure, but it doesn't come out on top.

Yes on a whole Vancouver has a lot of blander towers I'd argue, note the on the whole aspect though as they do have many interesting projects as well.

Regardless I'll argue the public realm, namely the base of most condos in Vancouver are much much better then most in Toronto ... a lot more attention to detail ... more features and the like ...

Great shot. There's those windows I don't like. I've noticed in a few shots that those apartments seem empty yet they have fantastic layouts - and views.

Back