Toronto Litho. | 36.88m | 8s | RioCan Living | Turner Fleischer

There’s a crane up at a site west of here on the North side of Dupont closer to Dufferin. I couldn’t find a reference to that development on the forum. What is it?

That is going to make 4 grocery stores within a few blocks of each other. Some tough competition.

Yeah, was gonna say; I'm pretty surprised by this -- remember Sobey's is also redoing their store in conjunction with the project down the street between Ossington and Shaw, too.

Farmboy, Dymon... all we need to complete an Ottawa takeover of the GTA are some Bridgehead locations to open up.

Where does Farmboy slot into among Loblaws-Fiesta-Sobey's, customer profile/price-wise?

They are upscale stores with mostly (if not all?) private label products and a focus on fresh foods and services - they are pricey like a Loblaws. You won't find non-food items here either. From an article when they opened in London:

"We want to be where the competition is. We are not complete. We are actually inconvenient if we are not in a neighbourhood,” York said. “We like to have a drug store close by; we like to have a Walmart nearby. Everyone has to buy shampoo, toilet paper, pet food, we don’t have any of that, so we actually do better when we are close to competition.”

https://www.farmboy.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Farm_Boy_LCN_March20.pdf

Last edited:
They definitely pride themselves on value-added propositions - they were the first chain in Ottawa to have truly good prepared foods options. They also focus on freshness of produce and local produce. Probably a Longo's type pricepoint, although personally I find Longo's overrated while Farmboy (at least when I went there and it was still a much smaller chain) lives up to the hype.

Back