Toronto Lillian Park | 84.73m | 28s | Collecdev | Kohn Shnier

This looks great it's something different from the average all-glass building Style.

I was about to say the same thing. Aside from architectural interest and design style this must be better for heating and air conditioning as well. All that glass in other buildings must make them bake in the summer.

Nov 6th
IMG_20181106_123542.jpg

Context is everything. The area isn't overrun with glass. 44 Dunfield isn't glass. The subway tile pattern gets lost in the random blocks of spandrel glass. I don't see great here.

I'm quite fine with how this is going. Don't mind the spandrel too much as it's kept relatively proportionate and blends in with the white brick.

That’s the issue - the glazing cutouts, spandrel glass included, need to contrast with the precast brick in order for the motif to work.

Still a nice project (with a really nicely resolved typical floorplan) but the choice of spandrel weakens the visual reading of the building.

^^^I'm definitely not a fan of grey spandrel but a pale shade of grey would've contrasted nicely with the precast brick and enhanced the overall design motif.

All i can say is that I'm really glad to not be living across the street from this project any longer because seeing that spandrel messiness on the daily would be too depressing.

Having just come back from Europe and seen the caliber of architecture there, the fact that we are okay with the quality of this development is really unfortunate. Building a complex which contributes to a sense of place and help instill pride in the neighbourhood does not seem to be a priority for the builders here.

What gets me is that as the precast is offset ever seen floor, you would think they would want that pattern to stand out, and therefore the spandrel panels that are going in immediately above or below the precast should have been black (or close to it). Without the contrast, the pattern is essentially lost. What an architecturally clueless decision to go with similarly coloured spandrel that was. It's so idiotic I am amazed.

^^^ this is the issue with many developers choosing a window wall system and/or spandrel panels that matches too much with the cladding. The overall design is lost or blurred, which is such a wasted effort. It will only look worse when the building is occupied and white window coverings throughout the building will further diminish the design, looking like a jumbled monolithic mess.

Minto Westside and 1 Yorkville, just to name a few, would have looked so much better if there was a contrast between the window wall and cladding.
Tridel seems to get it by using tinted glass and dark spandrel to let the architecture stand out, but then again Tridel uses an awful amount of spandrel so any effort to hide it is a good thing.
It’s also the fault of the architect too as they in most cases specify the colours and materials (or influence/direct the developer), at least in my experience.

Last edited:
This project had so much potential. All it needed was the glazing to be pulled in from the precast a bit more to create a better reveal (developer wouldn't have allowed it though... probably seen as too great a "loss" of saleable area) and a dark spandrel glass that would contrast with the precast. Sigh.

Great concept though!

Back