Toronto Lillian Park | 84.73m | 28s | Collecdev | Kohn Shnier

20191227_130859.jpg
20191227_130918.jpg
20191227_131122.jpg
20191227_131144.jpg
20191227_131317.jpg
20191227_131231.jpg

They look so dated already, and all because the spandrel colour was improperly spec-ed.

Can we put this in the Colour Choice case studies section of “How to Destroy Your Architectural Design After It’s Approved” book, published by Urban Toronto?

I used to live in the area and would shudder every time i walked past those old white buildings. I would think to myself "well, they're a product of their time, but we've learned a lot since then". Clearly, we have not.

This entire project straddles between a C+ to B- for me. I really like the central amenity space, the curved spiral segment and the vintage vibes that it sends. The landscaping, public space, and the attempted articulation of the bases' angled pillars are other positives. However, the more I get accustomed to seeing the towers, the more I feel that they are neither here or there. And that's where I start docking off marks. They get too immersed with the older apartment buildings, and overall results in looking like a sea of vanilla. Spandrel to brick relation-wise, it comes out appearing as a beige-on-beige type outfit. It's a missed opportunity as a contrast of black spandrel instead would have really made this motif pop.

Last edited:
This entire project straddles between a C+ to B- for me. I really like the central amenity space, the curved spiral segment and the vintage vibes that it sends. The landscaping, public space, and the attempted articulation of the bases' angled pillars are other positives. However, the more I get accustomed to seeing the towers, the more I feel that they are neither here or there. And that's where I start docking off marks. They get too immersed with the older apartment buildings, and overall results in looking like a sea of vanilla. Spandrel to brick relation-wise, it comes out appearing as a beige-on-beige type outfit. It's a missed opportunity as a contrast of black spandrel instead would have really made this motif pop.

Definitely agreed- they dropped the ball on the spandrel colour really hard (this is ultimately a D+ for me because of the overwhelming beige drearyness and the messy towers), and yet I see nice urbanistic touches that indicate that this was at least initially a well-informed design (and it was in the initial documents).

My gut feeling is that the team doing the construction drawings and material spec did not share the same clarity of vision as the initial designers, or that over-interference from the developers ended up ruining the design.

268 in one and 276 in the other

Back