Toronto Legacy, Ultra, and Yorkland at Heron's Hill | ?m | 40s | Mattamy Homes | Graziani + Corazza

Why in this day and age do they still place retail way back from the street hidden by columns, bushes and lots of grass? The only people that can really see the retail are the pedestrians. Oh right there aren't any.
It had to do with the plan LRT on Sheppard where the road would be widen for the LRT in the centre. They were not going to reduce the number of lanes of traffic from Don Mills east.

The base of these building suck and done on the cheap side requiring columns.

It more for locals than the by passers.

I have no issues seeing the stores from a bus or one of the few pedestrians walking by.

Have no issues with the lack of signs since it's more clean looking than all signs.

These are so so buildings like most buildings these days. The court yard is one of the better ones I have seen to date.

Take a look at the Atria complex the next block to the east and it is almost the same as this one.

It had to do with the plan LRT on Sheppard where the road would be widen for the LRT in the centre. They were not going to reduce the number of lanes of traffic from Don Mills east.

I understand Sheppard might be widened. But the columns, grass and bushes (!!) are ridiculous. Leave room for Sheppard but at least have the retail hit the sidewalk cleanly. And it's not just here. I see this everywhere. As if a short strip of grass will somehow add something to the project.

I understand Sheppard might be widened. But the columns, grass and bushes (!!) are ridiculous. Leave room for Sheppard but at least have the retail hit the sidewalk cleanly. And it's not just here. I see this everywhere. As if a short strip of grass will somehow add something to the project.

That section of Sheppard has nothing to do with the LRT. The LRTs are underground at that location.

That section of Sheppard has nothing to do with the LRT. The LRTs are underground at that location.
Not True as TTC was looking at how to connect to the Don Mills LRT line and the only way was using Sheppard. TTC was looking at using The Sheppard Yard to service the Don Mills Line. Service was mostly going in/out of service for Don Mills.

To connect to the Sheppard Line, it was underground.

To connect to the Don Mills by underground was very costly as well having sweeping curves and a reason for the surface line.

Look at TTC meetings records back in 2008-10 I think and you will see proposal for underground and surface options. Look when the plan first surface.

Since the Sheppard LRT is almost dead, its a moot thing now, but still play an impact on this development.

Having column is a cheap way doing things and a poor design in the first place. The whole complex is set too far from the street edge in the first place regardless an LRT or not. There could been a plan to have 4 lanes of traffic on this road and why the extra set back.

The building itself is set too far back from Sheppard- but this might be an opportunity to create a new eastern gateway as part of public space improvements in the ConsumersNext planning initiative. Lots of developments going in this area, and pedestrian activity between this area and Fairview Mall will surely increase as the residential population rises.

That being said, I think the retail spaces could be also improved by pushing the line of glass to the column edge and removing the colonnade- thereby allowing for better sightlines into the stores. Some of the bushes in front will also need to be removed as well, with perhaps a the creation of a large paved area for seating and patios.

Overall, the problem I think right now is a public space one.

From today:

20210501_180018.jpg

Back