Toronto The RIV | 113m | 34s | Broccolini | Arcadis

Ugh, "Neighbourhoods." This city, sometimes.

Agree. Following an Official Plan that increasingly doesn't make much sense. They've consistently under estimated demand and planned for a future core that can't keep up with it. Perhaps they should accept that this is a big city and plan accordingly.

There's nothing in the vicinity worth saving. I'm assuming they want a midrise neighbourhood here as 38 floors is too much? Really? They're really not making good use of limited space in the downtown core.

Last edited:
Agree. Following an Official Plan that increasingly doesn't make much sense. They've consistently under estimated demand and planned for a future core that can't keep up with it. Perhaps they should accept that this is a big city and plan accordingly.

This will not happen as long as the baby boomers living in single family dwellings in the Former Toronto are the primary donors to their city councillors. They hold the purse strings. Downtown/central lowrise "neighbourhoods" will not be upzoned until those baby boomers age out and sell their houses, or until they are demographically surpassed by younger condo dwellers.

Downtown Toronto will be suffocatingly dense before we run out of space to build. Space is not limited.

Really depends on what you define as 'space'. Everything included? Sure. What Planning etc. have determined you can build on? Very limited indeed.

Sites are harder and harder to come across. And those that do come up for sale are often asking more than what a pro forma can handle.

Sites that have the potential to be intensified in one form or another. I don't believe we've even crossed the 50% threshold on built out potential. I don't really have an opinion on a 38 storey tower here as I'm not familiar with the details. It does come across as excessive though next to townhouses. One thing for sure, it isn't detrimental to the future of the city to develop this site with a 38 storey tower or, more specifically, 18 FSI and 50,000 persons per square kilometre.

Here's the site, at the northeast corner of River and Labatt as of a few days ago:

DSC07044.jpg

Attachments

• DSC07044.jpg
    DSC07044.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 907
From the first website:
We are independent real estate sales representatives with World Class Realty Point and we do not represent the builder directly. The content of the pages of this website is for your general information, reference only. We are not liable for the use or misuse of the site’s information. Prices, sizes, specifications, and promotions of the condos are subject to change by the builder without notice. E.&O.E.

According to BuzzBuzzHome, River & Fifth is the name of the project at 5 Defries St, not this one

Last edited by a moderator:
According to BuzzBuzzHome, River & Fifth is the name of the project at 5 Defries St, not this one
I think that BuzzBuzz may have got it wrong: 5 Defries is Marlin Spring, whereas River & Fifth is Broccolini (although Broccolini are the contractor for 5 Defries… hmm.)

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing for sure is that it is an unfortunate family name. Glad they where it proudly.

One thing for sure is that it is an unfortunate family name. Glad they where it proudly.

Heh, glad someone didn't beat around the bush and mentioned it. It is a funny name. Interestingly broccoli is in the cabbage family. And all of Regent Park and this area east of River is actually the original Cabbagetown. Broccolini, cabbagetown...connect the dots people.

Reactions: DSC

Back