Haha, what an odd place to plunk a 38 storey structure

upload_2017-5-19_11-36-2.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-19_11-36-2.png
    upload_2017-5-19_11-36-2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3,182
Haha, what an odd place to plunk a 38 storey structure

View attachment 109034

That crane on the left of the screenshot above is building a 29-storey tower, so there is definitely some context. Though it doesn't look that way when you face east or northeast like that shot.

List of all properties included for this development:

2 LABATT AVE
4 LABATT AVE
83 RIVER ST
85 RIVER ST
87 RIVER ST
89 RIVER ST
91 RIVER ST
93 RIVER ST
95 RIVER ST
97 RIVER ST

There's also a 38 storey tower on the south side of labatt that's been approved

Interesting... I'm for development here. The Regent Park buildings that line this stretch of River are mostly TCH or co-ops so any market buildings proposed here would be a great addition. Shame IBI group has been hired though.

However, I suspect that this particular development doesn't stand a chance based on the Queen River Secondary Plan. I believe this particular block is designated as "neighbourhood" (which is ridiculous).

Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 6.05.21 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 6.05.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 6.05.21 AM.png
    128.4 KB · Views: 2,268
Fortunately (I think), it looks like the Queen-River secondary plan is under an appeal at the OMB.

I was curious about the proposed neighbourhood designation and found this interesting bit in the planning rationale prepared by Bousfields:

...In the December 15, 2014 report, staff stated that the Neighbourhoods designation is intended to “protect and reinforce the existing physical character of the low-scale residential areas”. Following therefrom, the Queen-River Secondary Plan provides that the vision for the area includes seeking to “maintain the established stable residential neighbourhoods”.

Through pre-application consultation, City staff offered other reasons for the proposed Neighbourhoods designation applying to the subject site beyond those set out in the two staff reports. Initially, staff advised that the intent of the Neighbourhoods designation was to encourage the re-use of the existing house-form buildings on the subject site for neighbourhood residential uses.

Latterly, staff advised that the rationale for redesignation of the subject site to Neighbourhoods was to create a compatible relationship to the small pocket of 8 houses at the corner of Mark Street and Defries Street.

I find it remarkable that 8 houses can wield such influence over the amount of potential housing that could be developed in downtown Toronto...also, including a surface parking lot in the proposed Neighbourhoods designation is a real head scratcher.

These houses exist as legal non-conforming uses, given the applicable I2 D3 zoning, which does not permit residential uses.

I like the design, and I think it would fit well aesthetically with some of the buildings built/under construction/in planning in the areas south of this site.

Back