Toronto Leaside Manors | 28.04m | 7s | Shane Baghai | Rafael + Bigauskas

WislaHD

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
8 Storey coming to Leaside.

This application proposes to amend the Official Plan and Zoning By-law to permit an 8 storey residential building containing 98 dwelling units and 97 parking spaces in two levels of underground parking at 3 and 5 Southvale Drive. (Adjacent to the Leaside Memorial Arena)

Background report available here: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-82898.pdf

The site:

SiteLocation2.png

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7022...!1s8beQkD9936_NXTZl6VjtkA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?

In context:

SiteLocation.png

Under By-law 1916, the site is currently zoned ‘O’ – Open Space (Parks).

Attachments

• SiteLocation.png
    SiteLocation.png
    208.7 KB · Views: 1,910
  • SiteLocation2.png
    SiteLocation2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,967
Last edited:
Hope, caution surround Southvale Drive proposal
Developer has good rep but changing official plan a concern, councillor says

Developer Shane Bahai says he understands community reaction to local developments such as the eight-storey, 98-unit residential condominium he is proposing for 3–5 Southvale Dr.

“The developer has to understand that he’s an intruder in a neighbourhood,” he says.

“Under two mayors I was head of the city’s infill housing committee — I dealt with monster homes in existing neighbourhoods, and the disruption that builders inflicted on the neighbours was atrocious,” Baghai continues.

While Baghai’s Leaside proposal wouldn’t be invading a street lined with houses — the two-storey buildings currently there previously held a catering company and art gallery — the site is part of a neighbourhood zone under the city’s official plan, and therefore has a height limit of four storeys.

Any proposal that requires an official plan amendment should be approached with caution, Ward 26 Councillor Jon Burnside says.

Last year the Ontario Municipal Board approved a seven-storey, 78-unit condominium across the street at 2 Laird Dr. that was heavily contested by residents, though Baghai says in a career spanning more than four decades, 3,000 condo units and 1,200 custom homes, he has never brought an application to the Ontario Municipal Board.

“Shane Baghai, as far as developers go, has a fairly good reputation, and I think there’s a willingness there to work with the community,” Burnside says. “However, I still have concerns about changing the official plan.”

So far, Burnside has been discussing the proposal with the Leaside Property Owners Association. But he’s always looking for neighbourhood feedback, and says that Leaside residents will have a chance to voice their opinion of Baghai’s proposal at a community consultation meeting in late November or early December.
http://mytowncrier.ca/news/hope-caution-surround-southvale-drive-proposal/

Shane Baghai condo sparks controversy in Leaside

leasidearena-7eebdea6.jpeg

The board of the Leaside Arena is locked in a dispute with condo developer Shane Baghai over whether the arena's parking entrance can be used by a potential condo.

An eight-storey condo proposed for the intersection of Millwood Road and Southvale Drive has started a dispute between the board members of Leaside Memorial Community Gardens (a.k.a. Leaside Arena) and the developer over shared road access currently leading into the arena’s parking lot.

The proposed development at 3-5 Southvale Dr., by Shane Baghai, calls for 98 units and two levels of underground parking, with vehicle access proposed via the driveway into the arena.

Councillor Jon Burnside, who sits on the board of the Leaside arena, said the entryway is already busy enough without additional traffic.

“There’s no upside for them to provide an access point to an adjacent condominium,” he said.

But Baghai believes that the “driveway” is actually a public road, owned by the City of Toronto.

“I don’t think the arena has the exclusive right to it,” said Baghai. “The access to [our] site has always been from that road.”

City of Toronto planner John Lyon declined to comment on the matter, stating that it was a key issue surrounding the evaluation of the proposal.

Beyond questions of access, the development is seeking a zoning and official plan amendment, currently under review by city planning officials.

Although the official plan only allows for residential housing up to four storeys, Baghai pointed to the seven-storey building across the street, at 2 Laird Dr., recently approved at the Ontario Municipal Board, to justify the proposed height.

The seven-storey building, Burnside recalled, was heavily contested by local residents and ultimately won the appeal because of its access to Laird Drive — a heavily used arterial road, which Southvale is not, he said.

According to Lyon, a preliminary report is being prepared for the North York Community Council meeting on Sept. 8.

http://www.postcity.com/Eat-Shop-Do...e-Baghai-condo-sparks-controversy-in-Leaside/

Seems like there is some conflict here with the drive-way.

And finally, the site plan and massing:

Siteplan.png
EastElev.png
NorthElev.png
Westelev.png
SouthElev.png

Attachments

• EastElev.png
    EastElev.png
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,513
  • NorthElev.png
    NorthElev.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 1,393
  • Siteplan.png
    Siteplan.png
    297 KB · Views: 1,891
  • SouthElev.png
    SouthElev.png
    126.3 KB · Views: 1,477
  • Westelev.png
    Westelev.png
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,432
Under By-law 1916, the site is currently zoned ‘O’ – Open Space (Parks).

That "Open Space" is the Leaside Memorial Arena, Leaside Memorial Gardens Pool, Leaside Memorial Community Gardens (community centre), and Leaside Curling Club. There's substantial surface parking on the site too. This development would back on those buildings.

And finally, the site plan and massing:

View attachment 61733

Where the site plan says "Millwood Road" is actually the vehicular access to all of the recreation facilities noted above.

Shane Baghai says he may sell Leaside site if plan is rejected

The ol' "you think I'm bad? Just wait til the next guy shows up" tactic. I live about a block from this location and I can't say it bothers me at the current height; but then again no one is staring down into my backyard. People do desperately want to live here in Leaside, and I don't doubt it when Baghai says that he has potential buyers lined up for the site. I' curious how many units Baghai needs to retain in the proposal to make it viable. I'm guessing with the 8-floor request and the 4-floor limit maybe a split down the middle at 6 floors will satisfy everyone.

I have never seen—after going to piles of community consultations—a developer pull a stunt like that.

Am I impressed? Not so much.

In the Postcity article Baghai is quoted as saying that he has never gone to the OMB. Can this be verified? Seems unlikely for a largish developer like him. Maybe the no-OMB thing is a point of pride, but I don't see why he would give up millions in profits on a site he already owns just to avoid a couple of hearings. Especially given the OMB's decision following the Canada Post site redevelopment that's kitty-corner to here.

Does anyone think this design screams "build this or the neighbourhood falls to rack and ruin"? It doesn't look so beguiling to me.

This was resubmitted back in August with the height reduced to 7 storeys. Architect is Rafael + Bigauskas (Link):
Screenshot 2016-11-01 22.13.04.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-11-01 22.13.04.png
    Screenshot 2016-11-01 22.13.04.png
    468.1 KB · Views: 964
Going through old emails, saw Councilor Burnside's October community newsletter, thought was worth posting:

Shane Baghai, the developer of 3 - 5 Southvale, first submitted his proposal almost one year ago for the sites immediately adjacent to Leaside Memorial Gardens. A community consultation was held by our Planning department and then ... silence. Although this is often the case, the period of silence must have seemed unusually long. However, there were some unusual issues.

One issue that arose related to the developer bringing a court application seeking relief related to a portion of City lands adjacent to 3 Southvale Drive. The developer was claiming a legal ownership interest on the basis of adverse possession (based on the previous owner’s use) and in the alternative an easement to travel over the City lands for the purpose of access to 3 Southvale.

Although this was settled largely in favour of the City, there were still more issues to resolve: the possible driveway entrance through the arena parking lot, a building height of eight storeys and a podium of three stories (which would be higher than the house forms to the west of the site) and density – just to highlight a few.

Although it seemed quiet, intense discussions have been taking place. While some issues still need to be ironed out, Mr. Baghai has recently resubmitted his application with major alterations to the proposal.

The building height has been reduced to seven storeys which is consistent with the development across the street (2 Laird) and meets all angular plane requirements. The number of units has been reduced from 98 to 67, the “Gross Floor Area” has been reduced by over 30%, and the driveway entrance has been moved to Southvale. Mr. Baghai has also agreed to increase the setback of his building in order to provide a landscaped promenade leading down to the arena.

Back