Toronto Lakeside Residences | 158m | 49s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

What? No it’s not. The $3 billion is for the next 30 years of maintenance on the entire DVP and gardiner.

The actual elevated rebuild is $1 billion. And the demolition option wouldn’t have been $0, but rather $600 million. The incremental cost to keeping it is “only” $400 million.

Make of that as you will. But don’t go throwing out blatantly wrong facts about it.

And yea it’s a huge portion of this years maintenance budget because it’s in the midst of the reconstruction. It’s not like every year it accounts for 53%. Give it 4 years when the construction will be done and it’ll be down to 2% or something.

yup, you are right, my apology for that wrong number. its 1B not 3B for the rebuild, and a 2.2B allocated for the maintenance in the next 9 years.

Other numbers are correct, an unfunded 2B for LRT, and Gardiner represents 53% of this year's city maintenance budget.

But no, Gardiner is not gonna go down to 2% of the maintenance budget, the work on the western portion would be continuous to like an eternity.

Why not just built the LRT? The Gardiner isn't a detractor judging by Southcore.

Reads like a kneejerk hate of the expressway..
Rebuilding Union Station Loop is going to Cost $500-$700 Million and it only gone into The City 10 year budget this year, considering the EA was approved in 2008. I spent too many nights at meetings trying to get the LRT built since 2008 with no luck. Can build the LRT faster and less costly, but the car folks don't want it done at City Level. It could been up and running back in 2015 and not doing the people mover option. Hell, not going to see LRV's going into the Part Lands until 2040 considering it was to be 2025-30.

I along with others and Mainly Waterfront Toronto want this eye sore Gardiner to come down. Look what Harbour St looks like today with those ramps gone. It free up land for more development.

Re: the building permit, it seems Building F is the tallest/eastern tower, Building C+G is the second/western tower, but I'm confused about what Building B2 is? In the renderings there is clearly a smaller tower in back/north side, but the permit seems to include two such buildings: Building C+G includes a 15 storey building, while Building B2 is a 14 storey building

Re: the Waterfront-Union loop, I've never understood why we can just scrap the below-grade Waterfront-to-Union loop and just have the Waterfront LRT run up Bay Street to Union (just keep it going up to Queen where it can turn east/west, or continue up to make a full Bay LRT). Would cost a fraction, and be more convenient, than some underground connection between the waterfront and Union.

Last edited:
Re: the Waterfront-Union loop, I've never understood why we can just scrap the below-grade Waterfront-to-Union loop and just have the Waterfront LRT run up Bay Street to Union (just keep it going up to Queen where it can turn east/west, or continue up to make a full Bay LRT). Would cost a fraction, and be more convenient, than some underground connection between the waterfront and Union.
Ugh?..an LRT up Bay street will never happen, anyways i'm excited that this development has finally got the go ahead to proceed

Last edited:
Re: the building permit, it seems Building F is the tallest/eastern tower, Building C+G is the second/western tower, but I'm confused about what Building B2 is? In the renderings there is clearly a smaller tower in back/north side, but the permit seems to include two such buildings: Building C+G includes a 15 storey building, while Building B2 is a 14 storey building.

B2 is connected to the taller C+G building

20190722-011147.jpg

There is now demolition company trailer at the former FedEx warehouse so I assume demolition is starting. They have a permit:

Application:
Demolition Folder (DM)
Permit Issued
TORONTO ON M5A 3W9
Ward 10: Spadina-Fort York
Application#:
19 145152 DEM 00 DM
Issued Date:
Jun 4, 2019
Project:
Warehouse
Work:
Demolition
Description:
Proposal to demolish an existing 1 storey vacant warehouse building.
Shoring permit got cancelled...

View attachment 203300
That's because they put in for a Shoring (only) permit which has been approved:

Application:
Building Additions/Alterations
Permit Issued
TORONTO ON M5A 3W9
Ward 10: Spadina-Fort York
Application#:
19 150970 BLD 00 BA
Issued Date:
Sep 9, 2019
Project:
Apartment Building
Work:
Shoring
Description:
Proposed excavation and shoring for soil remediation for future mixed-use residential buildings

I went by it on Sherbourne yesterday and that frontage is pretty much untouched. I'd be surprised if it was still there by the end of the week though..

Back