Toronto Lago at the Waterfront | 162.15m | 50s | Mattamy Homes | Graziani + Corazza

My critique is that the design of this building is particular was very well executed. Firstly, the detailing was execlintia and highly sophisticated. I find it very easy to appreciate the form and the greater picture of this design with the capping, flashing, coping, mullions, spandrel, panels, and the heavy framing of the simple, yet elegant elements. There is so much delicacy and reveals, and highly interesting conceived details rove right the human scale. It's incredibly fitting for this prime waterfront location, a yet another huge architectural success.

Hmmm, I thought banned members usually show as "banned". Guess not anymore.

Anyway, however clumsy or unrefined some might find the detail, I certainly find Lago the most eye-grabbingly "interesting" of the Humber Bay condo bunch so far. Sort of a glassy-steely version of Hugh Hardy's 420 W 42nd zebra-striping
kveus7004b.jpg

With the sky just brilliant yesterday, I couldn't not take this while shooting more current development in the area.

DSC04217.jpg

In the meantime, it feels like 2017 was the year that the Humber Bay Shores are really arrived, what with the Toronto Driftwood sign and the driftwood El Corazon sculpture, both by Thelia Sanders-Shelton and Julie Ryan, having been erected on two of the three groins in the bay here. You can't go to the parks now without seeing people scramble to have their photos taken with one or the other or both. The park's vegetative growth over the last couple decades means that it's quite an attractive (while mostly un-manicured) area to scramble about in, with lots of great views here and there. It's big too - you can walk for hours in the parkland here. More than a minimum of shops and restaurants have opened here now too, with quite a pile still to come. The area's looking up…

DSC04210.jpg
DSC04213.jpg
DSC04302.jpg

Attachments

• DSC04217.jpg
    DSC04217.jpg
    872.6 KB · Views: 683
  • DSC04210.jpg
    DSC04210.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 689
  • DSC04213.jpg
    DSC04213.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 657
  • DSC04302.jpg
    DSC04302.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 629
Ottawan, I hope you will go back a year or so from now when Eau du Soleil reaches it’s full height and play with the angle a bit. It will be interesting to see what the taller structures do to that view. In the meantime, thanks for this shot.

In the news...

Surprise, surprise. Just over a year goes by and there's already big problems, this is what happens when developers cheap out on various aspects of a development. I'd be curious to know who the manufacturer of the elevator is here.

Another thing that sticks out is the fact that there is only 4 elevators for 49 stories which is just plain old ridiculous. It's time the province step in and mandate the number of elevators that are required in a high-rise building, as there are huge problems that come up when a couple elevators are out of service.

Maybe they can start putting that BMU to use? Passengers can be picked up directly from their balconies, every unit has one. (joking)

Back