Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

significant delay is pretty typical for Cityzen-Mirad projects ... including Hemingway, 88 Broadway, Essence on Kingsway, London on the Esplanade

So, it looks like the L Tower might not be an L after all. I'd heard a bit of muttering that that might be the case, and didn't pay it much heed until I read through the meeting minutes linked above. Seems that if the city doesn't get the money for its multi-culti-musi, it would rather see a plaza in its place. Goodbye L-tower, hello I-tower.

So, it looks like the L Tower might not be an L after all. I'd heard a bit of muttering that that might be the case, and didn't pay it much heed until I read through the meeting minutes linked above. Seems that if the city doesn't get the money for its multi-culti-musi, it would rather see a plaza in its place. Goodbye L-tower, hello I-tower.

Yikes!
If it was anyone else that had said that I would have laughed it off as a rumour starter.
I think it was one of my very first posts on this thread that I commented that I just could not believe that a building as remarkable as this would be built in this city.
This could get interesting.
Hopefully the builder will keep the curvy tower look at least. Who knows. Maybe it would work.
Shame about those Mulberries. They were nice.

I want this tower built, and I want it built the way it's been designed damn it! Grrr sometimes this city really ticks me off!

I'm a bit fuzzy on the details.

What exactly is it that the city requires to allow this to be built? And how likely are they realisitically to get it?

2013??! really!!? wow... that could definately change my plans... would be nice to know realistically. we didnt buy the unit as an investment, so knowing when it will be available would help in determining what to do (rent, buy) in the interim...

also found this article: http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=10029

it says in here that the tower will continue regardless of AHA centre funding. although the city notes from the meetings did cause me a scare with respect to parking, path, and all of the other issues which i felt should have been resolved long ago.

please keep everyone posted on updates as they arrive! :)

Please no 'I' tower

Noooooooooo :eek: ........ Castlepoint please keep the commercial component (where AHA Centre was going to be), the proposed 'public plaza' option represents a 'I' tower, and Toronto would loose an otherwise very iconic building ...

The original Umbrella Agreement with Castlepoint Realty Partners Ltd. (Castlepoint)
incorporated a fallback scenario in which a commercial development would be
constructed in the strata land below the proposed condominium tower in lieu of the City
Centre. However, at its meeting in July, 2008, Council approved amendments to the
Umbrella Agreement that provided staff and the developer, Castlepoint Realty Partners
Ltd., with the opportunity to examine a further alternative for this strata land. Under this
alternative, the strata land would be used for additional residential development and a
public plaza instead of a commercial development.

Staff have determined that this new alternative will result in significant public benefits
and that it will aid in the operations of the existing theatre. In addition, it has been
determined that this alternative will result in a financial outcome that is similar to the
outcome from a commercial development.

loosing architectural landmarks like the L-Tower design that rarely comes along in TO is not 'significant public benefits' IMHO :rolleyes:

I don't think it will make that much of a difference from a far ... obviously ... and even from a close depending on how they change the podium.

I'm not too concerned to be honest ... a public square is actually a good thing for this area!

Aha! I knew this guy was full of it and couldn't deliver. Let's rescue the site with UT concepts. The finger painting "alternative" was created in 2 hours.

I'm willing to offer up my idea right now... a waterslide hotel that mimics the L staircase. Hotel would do just fine here (especially if there's some decent shows in the new/improved Humming/Keef/Sony theatre.

Back