Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

The generator was running tonight so I assume it was running all day today. Maybe they are working on the transfer switch. That could be a long lead time item and explain the parked generator.

This building just can't get a break. I hope for the residents sake that they get their windows cleaned before 2030.

I wonder if there is any long-term damage tied to never washing your windows? The dirt build-up must be insane as this building has NEVER had their windows cleaned – so, 7 years running?

This building just can't get a break. I hope for the residents sake that they get their windows cleaned before 2030.

I wonder if there is any long-term damage tied to never washing your windows? The dirt build-up must be insane as this building has NEVER had their windows cleaned – so, 7 years running?
Yes, if I lived there I would be asking the Board what is going on. Clearly the Board are in the middle as the problems all seem to be due to construction problems and I bet the developer and their insurance company are busy (or trying to pretend that all is well!).

First the initial MAU was not strong enough (if I remember right) or could not go around the curve..​
Then they (the developers) bought a new one - special order.​
When they tried to install it it collapsed and damaged the emergency generator and god knows what else. (There is at least one missing glass panel over the Yonge Street sidewalk - caused at same time?)​
Then they had to rent an emergency generator.​

It is a VERY costly mess that is clearly not yet over.

I doubt that not cleaning windows is going to cause problems (unpleasant though it may be for residents) but the lack of the MAU also means nobody has looked at the exterior of the building up close since construction - minor problems may well be becoming major due to this lack of the ability to inspect and fix.

The generator is still blocking The Esplanade so I nudged 311. VERY speedy response reading:

"Thank you for contacting 311 Toronto.
I have contacted the Supervisor of Right-of-Way Management, Candice Martins, requesting we be advised what the next step here will be according to the findings of the Transportation Standards Officer that was assigned to attend.
We'll be in touch as soon as we hear back.
Warm regards,"

I doubt that not cleaning windows is going to cause problems (unpleasant though it may be for residents) but the lack of the MAU also means nobody has looked at the exterior of the building up close since construction - minor problems may well be becoming major due to this lack of the ability to inspect and fix.
Not cleaning glass can indeed cause problems.
If this glass has not been cleaned since construction, then it is possible that is was stained from rain washing over the concrete and onto the glass, or concrete spill on the glass.
The alkaline material in concrete, once deposited on glass will stain and etch it over time.
This is a common problem with high rise concrete buildings.

The generator is still blocking The Esplanade so I nudged 311. VERY speedy response reading:

"Thank you for contacting 311 Toronto.
I have contacted the Supervisor of Right-of-Way Management, Candice Martins, requesting we be advised what the next step here will be according to the findings of the Transportation Standards Officer that was assigned to attend.
We'll be in touch as soon as we hear back.
Warm regards,"
Just curious: what do you think the building must do then? Shut down and move the residents so that the lane occupied by the generator can be freed. There are plenty of closed lanes in the city so that construction workers can park their trucks. Why are going after L Tower and its residents? What pleasure does that give you?

Just curious: what do you think the building must do then? Shut down and move the residents so that the lane occupied by the generator can be freed. There are plenty of closed lanes in the city so that construction workers can park their trucks. Why are going after L Tower and its residents? What pleasure does that give you?
You are being silly. I suggest they park the generator on the adjacent parking spaces behind the Meridian Hall or even on the sidewalk. Having it parked where it is on the street blocks a lane and causes HUGE traffic jams - esp. in pm rush hour. Even I, as a cyclist, can feel some pity for motorists and the L-Tower or, more likely, the developer and their insurers are taking FAR too long to fix this. Blocking a lane (with NO PERMIT) may be acceptable in an emergency, after 8 months it is simply sloppy!

Possibly some progress! Frankly, I doubt Toronto Buildings said the temporary generator HAD to be parked on the street and even if they did, why no street occupancy permit (and fees).

"Our office has been in contact with the L Tower Building Management Staff in order to address the current Street Occupation. There was an Emergency Order issued by Toronto Buildings back in November of last year where it was required that the Generator be placed on City Right of Way.

Toronto Buildings is still waiting for confirmation as to when the Generator can be removed. As of right now the Management Staff is working with our Office in order to get into compliance. We are working with both Toronto Buildings and the Building Managanent Staff to have this done as soon as possible. I will continue to communicate updates when I have further details as per the timeline for removal."

From Remi Berthalon on IG:

Screenshot_20220921-193914_Instagram.jpg

The perpetual tower of temporary platforms...
Ha, maybe we will see them able to wash the windows, for first time for ages (maybe ever)! They also need to repair/replace the section of the glass overhang on Yonge sidewalk that was, I think, broken that day.

Back