Vaughan KPMG Vaughan | ?m | 14s | SmartCentres | Diamond Schmitt

I don't see anything wrong with it. The inconsistent glazing is intentional, I don't think it's supposed to form any sort of pattern.

I like it, and its in the original render as well.

Thanks for pointing out the original renderings. When those were first posted, I didn't notice it, and even now at first glance I would have said there was a reflection of clouds. But the renderings definitely show it. Actually, what is more apparent in the renderings is the colourful glazing for the podium second level, which hasn't gone up yet. It'll be fun to see how that turns out.

kpmg.jpg
Sunday, August 23rd...

Attachments

• kpmg.jpg
    kpmg.jpg
    851.1 KB · Views: 1,765
Taken today:
P1070297.JPG
P1070311.JPG
P1070342.JPG

Why this building has surface parking is beyond me:
P1070341.JPG

Attachments

• P1070297.JPG
    P1070297.JPG
    633.8 KB · Views: 1,356
  • P1070311.JPG
    P1070311.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,380
  • P1070342.JPG
    P1070342.JPG
    621 KB · Views: 1,343
  • P1070341.JPG
    P1070341.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,359
Reactions: PMT
Eventually the plan is to turn the parking into a park. I believe it will eventually be shifted into a parking garage in another development. The tower also has a single level of underground parking as well from what I remember.

You know, the KPMG tower, now that it is complete, actually bears some resemblence to the Bay Adelaide Centre. It's like a cheaper suburban mini-me of KPMG's downtown office.

Thanks for the pics. The surface parking is temporary until they decide to build something else there. I remember that very clearly from the planning documents. There is also underground parking.

Eventually the plan is to turn the parking into a park. I believe it will eventually be shifted into a parking garage in another development. The tower also has a single level of underground parking as well from what I remember.
That makes sense. For a moment I was worried they weren't serious about building density.

There is going to be a ton of parking in Vaughan Metropolitan Centre at first, but it will get slowly developed over the years. Much like Downtown Markham. At first these areas are still going to be very car reliant anyway, and surface lots are easy ways to supply that, and as the areas densify the need for parking will reduce, allowing the lots to disappear.

Calloway REIT is building a lot of temporary lots around the subway station and is going to run them as private lots for commuters from my understanding, charging for parking. Eventually they will be redeveloped.

If VMC is successful, is there room for it to expand beyond its planned borders? Also, the City has a target of 1.5 million sf of office space; would more be allowed?

Yea I would image as 1.5 million is a very small ammount honestly - Downtown Markham as it stands is probably close to 1 million with the 3 existing buildings.

I think there is going to be a lot of competition between:
VCC
MCC
MCC
NYCC
Buttonville
^^^ They're not all apple to apple comparisons - some may argue VCC / NYCC have a big transportation advantage ... but do they ? If you consider the majority of the workers will be from the suburbs, the VCC subway line really doesn't do a great deal - of course I'm sure there will be some workers that live along the subway and even in downtown Toronto commuting out but still I don't think it'll be as huge as an advantage as one may think on paper.

Of course VCC has the subway benefit - but the end result may be the following I'd wager - from a commercial development point of view these small urban communities in the suburbs are a plus because they can charge higher rent then in the suburbs (of course they cost more but still) - but given there will be a lot of competition between these sites I wonder what it'll do to rent.

None of the said sites will honestly compete with downtown I wager, it's a very different market, but they'll compete with anything north of Yonge and Eglinton within Toronto and of course amongst each other in the suburbs, I think NYCC will be hit the hardest and will result in rental rates dropping to remain competitive.

But also, I wonder if it'll also imply none of these downtown's will grow that fast as there are so many of them (at least from a commercial point of view).

Should be very interesting to see how it plays out over the next 15/20 years

Back