Toronto Kipling Station Transit Hub | ?m | 2s | Metrolinx | SAI

When or if they extend Line 2 to westward to Sherway Gardens or Cloverdale Mall, the same will happen with the Kipling west bus terminal.
You mean that after the new station opens, then again wait over 40 years and then build a new more convenient MiWay terminal?

Kipling is one of the most effective bus terminal on the TTC. Only a flight of stairs and a few meters of walking between bus and subway.
I believe they were referring to the new MiWay terminal not the original TTC terminal.

When I factor in everything, I and all riders using the new Hub have to add an extra 5 minutes travel time for each trip per direction to our current travel time if you are a health body person. It will be an extra 7-10 minute travel time for older and slow walkers as well need the use of elevators.

that’s absolute insanity. Did we just spend millions upon millions of dollars to make transit worse?

When I factor in everything, I and all riders using the new Hub have to add an extra 5 minutes travel time for each trip per direction to our current travel time if you are a health body person. It will be an extra 7-10 minute travel time for older and slow walkers as well need the use of elevators.
It would be interesting to time the tunnel versus taking the walkway to the GO platform and walking down that instead.

I'm not defending this, but some travel time is saved by having the terminal a bit closer to Mississauga as well, yes?
Not really. As others have noted the subway generally crawls into Kipling. Add to that, the trip up to ground level for connecting buses at Islington was a fraction of the time spent on now getting from Kipling station to the MiWay terminal.

"Integration" doesn't seem terribly evident in the results of this effort.

It would be interesting to time the tunnel versus taking the walkway to the GO platform and walking down that instead.
Why!!? The GO access to TTC is non accessible; the platform is lock for both ends off hours and weekends and the walk would be a lot longer. Got to climb stairs to the walkway that will take you to GO platform and a long stair down to it or use the elevator. Since I very rarely around Kipling when GO platform is open, someone else would have to do the timing for X bus bay both ways. Don't see GO allowing the platform to be in service 7/24 at this time.
I'm not defending this, but some travel time is saved by having the terminal a bit closer to Mississauga as well, yes?
No time saving for rider other than for the buses.

Route 3 see about the same travel time from Islington and 3 minutes to it.

All other Mississauga routes except 26 save 5 minutes not going to Islington and 3 minutes from Islington.

Route 26 travel time to Islington remains as is and an extra 5 minutes to Kipling. I don't know if there is any saving with route 26 using the new route from Islington compare to the old route other than an extra 5 minute to the Islington Ave Stop.

Will the planners and schedulers offer better service to Kipling now and I will say no.
that’s absolute insanity. Did we just spend millions upon millions of dollars to make transit worse?
Yes we did and mostly cost by Hydro One refusing to allow the terminal under its transmission lines.

Then TTC and the City caused this extra time by not extending the subway to Cloverdale as per the 2008 Big Move and keeping people in their cars for all the new development underway on Dundas and to be built within the next 10 years. Also not dealing with the flaw TTC bus terminal. If built at Cloverdale, TTC would save millions a year as well freeing up a number of buses. Same would applied to Mississauga, but not as much as TTC.

Both Mississauga and TTC Riders would see the real saving in travel time going to Cloverdale than Kipling. No idea for GO since no idea what routes they plan to service this Hub, especially if the bus is going to/from Union using Kipling Ave

Would the trains be faster entering Kipling Station if we used reversing tracks beyond Kipling Station?

From link.

met-ops-terminal.gif

They could have used loops, but unlikely to be used for the Ontario Line.
met-ops-loop.gif

In Montréal and other cities, they use a reversing track located beyond the terminal station.
met-ops-siding.gif

The latter is the used in such places as Paris Metro and Tokyo Underground and London.

Using the pinched loop, would allow passengers to egress, doors close, train moves into the reversing track, change directions, and move back onto the other side of the terminal station to continue its journey. With ATO, any security guards can wait or change at the terminal platforms.

New York City's "S" 42nd Street Shuttle is 732 m (2,402 feet) in length. Takes trains 90 seconds to traverse between Times Square and Grand Central. See link.
What's funny is that they're currently rebuilding this line since it was over capacity before the pandemic.

Back