Toronto Kipling Station Transit Hub | ?m | 2s | Metrolinx | SAI

So is there a plan in place to redevelop the horrid bus bays at Islington once this project is done? I understand that's the sequence?

So is there a plan in place to redevelop the horrid bus bays at Islington once this project is done? I understand that's the sequence?
Not sure if TTC will proceed with the plan on building a new 3 stop bus platform and station with an street entrance in the north-east corner of the existing parking lot to allow the rest of the Whole site to be redevelop. A new traffic intersection will be built at to allow TTC buses in/out onto Islington.

Not sure how fast TTC will be in relocating TTC current bus bays to the very south end where Mississauga use today as well tear down the existing bus bay terminal come Oct 2020.

I stand to be correct, 2020 is the last year of the 5 year lease for Tridel Sales Office.

As much as TTC wants an office tower on the Islington lands, be lucky to see one built in 25 years, if every and best to go with Condos. What every gets built there, it must include a washroom, new bus terminal underground, a 2nd entrance, a grocery store and very little underground parking for the towers folks and TTC. What every gets built there will see a 20' crash wall along the CP corridor. I expect to see Tridel going after this site since they will be finish on the north lot in 2021/22.

The dome shoot @Jasonzed, gives a better view than what I been able to shoot, as well the area around the site at the same time. A fair amount of roofing in place to allow work to take place in side the building that will be heated during the coming months. Spring will see work get underway on building the new roads and parking lot. I still say if a push was taken on the work and continue like it has, the Hub could open before Sept easy.

One hopes Metrolinx is upgrading the GO Platform that currently block off that will allow the rest to be rebuilt once the Hub opens. This will force a longer walk to/from TTC station during the construction phase. It would be also nice to see a the current tunnel to the south parking lot lower and the rebuilt GO stair be built to that new level.

Not sure if TTC will proceed with the plan on building a new 3 stop bus platform and station with an street entrance in the north-east corner of the existing parking lot to allow the rest of the Whole site to be redevelop. A new traffic intersection will be built at to allow TTC buses in/out onto Islington.

They have no choice - it has to happen in the next year or two. The structural slab that the buses operate on has deteriorated to the point where the concern is that it will become a safety hazard soon.

Dan

To be honest, I dont even think the TTC has a solid plan in place for the Islington bus bay replacement. I have a feeling riders will be forced to board buses on the street for an indefinite period of time when the terminal fully crumbles away.

The last serous plan I heard was involving this one, and we can see how far that one went:

Scan0001.jpg

It's good I kept this, just to illustrate how much of an embarrassment the city has been on this front. 12 years and counting...

To be honest, I dont even think the TTC has a solid plan in place for the Islington bus bay replacement. I have a feeling riders will be forced to board buses on the street for an indefinite period of time when the terminal fully crumbles away.

The last serous plan I heard was involving this one, and we can see how far that one went:

View attachment 222569

It's good I kept this, just to illustrate how much of an embarrassment the city has been on this front. 12 years and counting...
Then ML delayed the entire Kipling terminal a decade while TTC added a new bus bay and installed the east entrance under the overpass at Kipling at that time. At least TTC did something while Queen's park was trolling under McGuinty at the time.

Nothing much could be done till MiWay moves out of Islington which was totally ML's fault.

They have no choice - it has to happen in the next year or two. The structural slab that the buses operate on has deteriorated to the point where the concern is that it will become a safety hazard soon.

Dan
That is why the current TTC bus bays will be move to the very south end currently use by Mississauga 109, 35, 3, 11, 20 that aren't on the slab once they are move to Kipling in Sept 2020. TTC riders will not like this move as they will be expose to the weather since there is no overhead for those bays.

Will TTC go with the plan I last saw or a new one is the unknown question today. What every gets built, it will take 2 years, as it will has to have elevators to met 2025 deadline.

@Steve X, Hydro One play a part in the delay since they own all that land and wanted to make sure it was protected for future use. They kill the idea of an LRT on Dundas since Hydro One didn't want them under their transmission Line. Also, how the current GO platform was going to fit into the plan since elevators had to be install for the platform. Still an ML Screw up for both the new Hub and the Transitway. You can say the City play a part by not extending the subway to Cloverdale where The Regional Terminal Was To Be In The First Place.

Last edited:
That is why the current TTC bus bays will be move to the very south end currently use by Mississauga 109, 35, 3, 11, 20 that aren't on the slab once they are move to Kipling in Sept 2020. TTC riders will not like this move as they will be expose to the weather since there is no overhead for those bays.

Will TTC go with the plan I last saw or a new one is the unknown question today. What every gets built, it will take 2 years, as it will has to have elevators to met 2025 deadline.

@Steve X, Hydro One play a part in the delay since they own all that land and wanted to make sure it was protected for future use. They kill the idea of an LRT on Dundas since Hydro One didn't want them under their transmission Line. Also, how the current GO platform was going to fit into the plan since elevators had to be install for the platform. Still an ML Screw up for both the new Hub and the Transitway. You can say the City play a part by not extending the subway to Cloverdale where The Regional Terminal Was To Be In The First Place.

The vintage Toronto way - disgusting levels of incompetence displayed by every government organization and department involved. And no one can be held accountable because of this masterful symphony of responsibility diffusion. Bureaucracy at its worst.

To be honest, I dont even think the TTC has a solid plan in place for the Islington bus bay replacement.

Of course not, hence the snarky tone of my inquiry. They're perfectly content to just let it crumble. Maybe at some point, if they feel like it, they'll set up a tarp so that future riders won't have to endure the indignity of being rained on while waiting for their bus.

The condition of Islington is an embarrassment to this city. The TTC can't be bothered to even occasionally wash the walls at platform level. Disgusting levels of apathy abound. The new CEO doesn't give two shits.

Of course not, hence the snarky tone of my inquiry. They're perfectly content to just let it crumble. Maybe at some point, if they feel like it, they'll set up a tarp so that future riders won't have to endure the indignity of being rained on while waiting for their bus.

The condition of Islington is an embarrassment to this city. The TTC can't be bothered to even occasionally wash the walls at platform level. Disgusting levels of apathy abound. The new CEO doesn't give two shits.

It's the beancounters doing their worst. Need to cut, cut, cut, so cut the needed construction because of the budget restrictions. But if the potholes need filling for the automobile, they find needed money by taking from public transit.

In fairness....

Islington Station would have been done sooner (and possibly by now) if the original redevelopment plan for a commercial tower on the property hadn't failed. I don't think that we can pin that one on the TTC.

As well, they can't close down the bus bays until Mississauga Transit gets its new terminal. Sure, it could be argued that it should have happened already, but as we all know, nothing fast happens transit-wise in this City.

Yes there is a plan in place, and yes, there's even a schedule for it to happen. But until the MT buses are able to serve Kipling Station they can't be moved out, and thus the bus terminal - in its current, horrid state - needs to keep pressing on in service.

All that said - I can't help but agree with you about the current CEO. I didn't like him at YRT, and I certainly don't like him at the TTC.

Dan

Although I pass through the area a few times a week, I had no idea the site was this far along! Great shots @Jasonzed!
The TTC is no longer driving the bus on the redevelopment of Islington Station following MiWay's move to Kipling, it's now Create TO in the driver's seat as the site was one of the City properties that were identified as being prime candidates for affordable housing construction. Here's a conceptual plan for the site:

IslingtonStnConcept.jpg

That was created for a December, 2019 public open house. The plan is to have a plan sent to Council for approval in the third quarter of 2020.

If you want to know more, check out https://createto.ca/housingnow/housing/bloor-islington/

The TTC is no longer driving the bus on the redevelopment of Islington Station following MiWay's move to Kipling, it's now Create TO in the driver's seat as the site was one of the City properties that were identified as being prime candidates for affordable housing construction. Here's a conceptual plan for the site:

View attachment 225771

That was created for a December, 2019 public open house. The plan is to have a plan sent to Council for approval in the third quarter of 2020.

If you want to know more, check out https://createto.ca/housingnow/housing/bloor-islington/

Looks like a reasonable plan. Not sure why there couldn't be highrise development on top of the bus terminal though.

^I just hope they do a good job of setbacks and sidewalk width on Islington and on Bloor. The building on the southwest corner of Islington and Bloor is egregiously close to Bloor Street. If this precedent leads to similar on the north side, it will be one crappy place to walk.

- Paul

Back