Toronto Kipling Station Transit Hub | ?m | 2s | Metrolinx | SAI

Btw, are there any renderings of the new terminal or is it a little premature?

This is all I've seen so far, and it looks like a crappy mishmash to me:

Attachments

• KiplingBusRender.jpg
    KiplingBusRender.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,179
I wonder where on the existing property that is? Where would this be in relation to the tracks and the new condo development next doo?

That image is pretty underwhelming.

You can locate this through the hydro substation at the bottom of the image. Check out the Google Maps satellite image, and you'll see where it is. Oh - and that's Dundas in the upper left corner.

Essentially the existing Kiss'n'Ride and access road (Subway Cr.) and parking lots to the west of Aukland Rd. will be completely made over.

It's vital that GO get a separate entrance this time to Kipling so TTC strikes don't shut the station down.

Silly rendering. Wouldn't the TTC buses not use the GO/MT regional terminal and stick with the fare-paid existing terminal? Why do I see Orion VIIs in TTC colours circulating around?

You'll also see the MT buses with the doors on the wrong (left) side of the bus. And I didn't know there were Orion I artics.

It's a very basic rendering, but the design looks sound, and would be an economical use of the existing infraststructure. I'm not sure we should pronounce it crappy on the basis of an image so low-res you can't guess what the materials might be. I think the TTC buses in the image are just driving past the GO/Mississauge terminal to get to the existing TTC terminal.

It looks as though the station would now be connected to Dundas by a new leg of Subway Crescent across from Acorn Ave. This design could fairly easily be adapted for LRT by making a one-way loop entering by the new leg and exiting via Aukland Road, or vice versa, and replacing some of the bus bays with a straight platform.

Kipling station

Everyone: Is the TTC planning on extending the Bloor West line to the Sherway Gardens shopping center or a park/ride facility on Route 427 as was once thought? Or is that Airport extension that was talked about ever become reality? Extensions like these make sense! LI MIKE

LI Mike - an extension to the 427 and/or Sherway in the future would still be possible, but is not part of any current plans unfortunately.

CapitalSeven - LRTs would load/unload along the south side of the existing bus platform level. There was provision made for an LRT platform there long ago above the eastbound subway track when the station was built.

Kipling/Islington Station TTC Improvement Projects

Open House for Kipling/Islington Station TTC Improvement Projects

Date: Wednesday, November 7th, 2007

Time: Open house: 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm

Presentation: 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm

Place: Islington United Church

25 Burnhamthorpe Road

From: http://communities.canada.com/natio...c-to-reveal-new-west-end-subway-stations.aspx
The Kipling Station and Islington Station Improvements project will switch the terminus for Mississauga Transit and GO Transit bus services from Islington to Kipling, and free up land to be sold to SNC-Lavalin.
Those SNC-Lavalin funds will help pay for the remake of the stations. The engineering giant will build an office at Islington, bringing 1,400 jobs to Toronto, said TTC chair Adam Giambrone.
“SNC-Lavalin is moving its headquarters for the GTA and some elements from across Canada,†said Mr. Giambrone. “That will be a major commercial development with 1,400 jobs coming into the City of Toronto.â€
Stephanie Rice, urban planner and manager of the project for the City of Toronto, said the project puts the TTC buildings on a hydro corridor instead of prime city real estate, and will add about 100 parking spaces between both stations, bringing the total number of spaces to 2,870.
“This project really got jump-started when last year the city was approached by the developer for the Islington lands, that’s SNC-Lavalin,†said Ms. Rice.
“They’re developing on a portion at Islington station. There are lands that are occupied by our existing bus terminal, and there’s an adjacent property, the former Legion building that’s owned by the city of Toronto. The Legion building lands are going to be developed by SNC-Lavalin.â€
The transit commission will hold an open house on the designs tomorrow at 6 p.m. at Islington United Church, 25 Burnhamthorpe Rd.
Construction will begin next year.
The TTC says the project will make it easier for pedestrians and private cars to get to the stations, improve the flow of passengers through the stations, and make bus operations at both hubs more efficient. Both stations will remain open while the construction work is under way.
Currently Mississauga Transit terminates at Islington station, an unnecessary four-kilometre round trip into Toronto for the suburban buses.
The project will move the terminus for Mississauga and GO bus services to Kipling at the Bloor subway’s western limit.
The Kipling redesign will also add new car entrances and two passenger pick-up and drop-off areas for the public, and replace the existing commuter parking lots with lots on Kipling Avenue and Aukland Road. The projected tab for Kipling: $37.6 million.
A new Islington TTC bus terminal will be built north of the existing subway station, on land that is also a hydro corridor. It will include a larger passenger kiss-and-ride facility, and new elevators to provide barrier-free access to all levels of the station. The projected tab for Islington: $22.44 million.
“On a whole, it’s great that the city and the TTC are going to invest in the stations, specifically because they’re the end stations,†said Matthew Blackett, publisher of the Toronto urban design magazine Spacing.
But Blackett urges the TTC to preserve the Islington station interior as part of the city’s architectural heritage.
“The Bloor-Danforth line is actually an amazing time capsule of a certain time -- of Modernist, clean, aesthetic design,†Blackett said. “Don’t mess with the tile design. Clean it up, touch it up.€
— Story by Will Tremain, National Post

Oh PLEASE DO mess with the tile design. I don't care about it being a time capsule. It's gloomy and depressing and ugly.
I hope someone goes to the meeting and gets pictures of these designs!

Back