Toronto KING Toronto | 57.6m | 16s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

It's so refreshing that the interiors and landscaping is not done by the usual group of firms in the Toronto condo world. And better yet, BIG is also responsible for the interiors so there is a cohesion between inside and out, something that is lacking here. There is nothing off-the-shelf or recycled (design-wise) here.
Yes, the landscaping and design of the planters are extremely detailed and thoughtfully designed so that they will survive our extreme climates. I'm excited to see different parts of the building will have specific species to deal with the specific microclimates and lighting conditions. Parts of the building will bloom in different colours at different times of the year which will really animate the building. The plantings will create more privacy, buffer the noise and soften the building which is needed when most of the units face or look down on each other.
They're working wth Public Work on the landscaping, which is a homegrown Toronto firm, and one of the best. The casual slagging off of all things Toronto is tiresome.
You're not pleased with Cecconi Simone? :D

I agree. I feel like you can't tell the interiors apart in many of our buildings. Boring. This is nice though.
So easy to take pot shots when you don't provide a shred of content, just opinion.

Buildings that want their amenity spaces to stand out get it done, and 99% of the time with Toronto firms. Tableau is one that jumps to mind that's not like any other. I wonder who did that design.

Can you let me know which type? I want to do something similar on mine...

I grew morning glories. I made an error in growing them from seeds in hanging pots in May, hoping they'd cascade down. They insisted on going up and started getting tangled and fell over. So, I restarted in late June and they picked up the pace. My partition wall was completely covered as of September. Next year, I'll know what to do and they'll be full in mid Summer.

B38DBCE7-D116-4845-89AD-78F39610A629.png

Attachments

• B38DBCE7-D116-4845-89AD-78F39610A629.png
    B38DBCE7-D116-4845-89AD-78F39610A629.png
    7.6 MB · Views: 1,087
I grew morning glories. I made an error in growing them from seeds in hanging pots in May, hoping they'd cascade down. They insisted on going up and started getting tangled and fell over. So, I restarted in late June and they picked up the pace. My partition wall was completely covered as of September. Next year, I'll know what to do and they'll be full in mid Summer.

Morning glories are nice but they are annuals, this development would have to have perennials that come back every year with more maturity,
i cant see them planting annuals every spring and have them taken out in autumn

Morning glories are nice but they are annuals, this development would have to have perennials that come back every year with more maturity,
i cant see them planting annuals every spring and have them taken out in autumn

I was just giving Filip what I currently have on my patio because he asked. The vegetation for KING is listed in the brochure. They’re like you said, likely annuals. Plenty examples of ivy in the King West neighbourhood.

I was just giving Filip what I currently have on my patio because he asked. The vegetation for KING is listed in the brochure. They’re like you said, likely annuals. Plenty examples of ivy in the King West neighbourhood.
Likely perennials, you mean. Annuals have to be planted every year.

BIG Unveils New Renderings – and Interior Designs – for KING Toronto Condos

https://www.azuremagazine.com/article/king-toronto-condos-bjarke-ingels-westbank/

Here are some higher quality renderings from the official website: kingtoronto.com
king-street-west_render_01.jpg

king-street-west_render_02.jpg

king-street-west_render_03.jpg

This is an expanded view of one of the renderings in the brochure. I like the jagged flooring, shown. It appears that those on the left are walking on stepping stones in a body of water. Additionally, I wonder if that beautiful emerald-looking rock is indicative of some art feature, as most of what we have seen in the renderings seems to be reflective of what is being proposed, rather than merely representing an artist's vision.
king-street-west_render_04.jpg

king-street-west_render_05.jpg

king-street-west_render_06.jpg

king-street-west_render_07.jpg

king-street-west_render_08.jpg

king-street-west_render_09.jpg

king-street-west_render_10.jpg

king-street-west_render_11.jpg

king-street-west_render_12.jpg

king-street-west_render_13.jpg

Additionally, here is a video about the project. It automatically plays a brief, fifteen second excerpt. Click the play button to see the video in its entirety. I can't embed the video in here, for some reason.

http://kingtoronto.com/films?mc_cid=3c72f96c2e&mc_eid=faae5dda32

Next batch of renderings is from blueelephantrealty.com

2017_10_26_09_40_26_533kingstreetcondos_rendering2.jpg

2017_10_26_09_40_26_533kingstreetcondos_rendering4.jpg

2017_10_26_09_40_28_533kingstreetcondos_rendering5.jpg

2017_10_26_09_40_27_533kingstreetcondos_rendering7.jpg

2017_10_26_09_40_32_533kingstreetcondos_rendering6.jpg

Night shot of the scale model, courtesy of kingtorontocondominium.ca
KINGG.jpg

Last edited:

Try cascading Nasturtiums (not the climbing kind) or something like Silver Falls, Creeping Jenny or Silver Helicrysum for your hanging planters. Be careful with your morning glories though; if you leave them over winter they'll reseed themselves like crazy and pop up all over the place. A fun alternative to the classic blue morning glory would be Cypress Vines or Cardinal Vines. I also really love Scarlett Runner beans for their bright red/orange flowers, though I think the beans they produce are poisonous. If you get sun you could even grow sweet peas but I've never had any luck with them.

Since they intend to grow the vines on a cable trellis system for this project, they could technically grow something like morning glories that need to twist to climb instead of clinging like Virginia Creeper or Ivy, but like someone pointed out, they'd need to be reseeded and the dead vines would need to be removed from the trellis every year which is tedious. I am skeptical about the Wisteria they want to grow. It's really really hard to keep alive in Canada and needs lots of care. Trumpet Vine might be a better choice.

Wow... SO different from what we usually see. It is reminiscent of Habitat in Montreal with a twist. This is urbanism at its most experimental.

Paraphrasing Woody Allen, I luff, lurve, loave this building. And athough I'm not a religious man, I'm really tempted to start praying for this masterpiece to get built.

After examining all of the floor plans many times over I'm surprised that there isn't as much glass block windows than one may expect in a building using it as building cladding exclusively.
The glass block windows are used as feature window walls on some of the units, many of them to provide privacy as they face another window or there's a terrace of a neighbouring unit on the other side. Nonetheless it's still a great unique application here which I can't wait to see how it's executed.

After examining all of the floor plans many times over I'm surprised that there isn't as much glass block windows than one may expect in a building using it as building cladding exclusively.
The glass block windows are used as feature window walls on some of the units, many of them to provide privacy as they face another window or there's a terrace of a neighbouring unit on the other side. Nonetheless it's still a great unique application here which I can't wait to see how it's executed.

@neuhaus , are you a realtor? Or would it be possible to share the floor plans with me? Really interested in this building, and I'd love to have a look to see what's available and how the units are designed.

sorry! this has probably been discussed before, so many projects to wrap my head around. is this approved?

Back