KING Toronto | 57.6m | 16s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Impressed those old wires/poles have survived the winters. Any reason these haven't already been put underground? They look pretty old!
Burying hydro 'distribution cables' is very expensive as you also need transformer pits but it is done quite often as areas are redeveloped. It is not something that can be done piecemeal as each building lot is redeveloped but when a whole area is being rebuilt (think St Lawrence, south of Queens Quay, West Don Lands etc etc) you now see almost all wires are buried. (Burying streetlighting wires is much easier as they carry much less current so when Lower Sherbourne, Front East and The Esplanade were rebuilt over the last decade the streetlight wires were all buried. (Of course, if there are wiring problems afterwards, Toronto Hydro Streetlighting just string 'temporary' overhead wires!)

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
I noticed this today. What kind of hoarding is going up here?

Pic @Red Mars

Given that there’ll be a significant setback from the historical facades, they almost don’t need a hoarding along this section — a canopy affixed to the window braces would do.

Nonetheless, we’re getting hoarding. Some pages back, someone mentioned that we’re getting “something special”. From the concrete berm that was just poured, it does look like something different than the typical scaffolding screwed into the sidewalk.

cd concept

Member Bio
Reaction score
From the looks of the last photo up above this development looks massive ! I can't how wide it is ! It's going to be an icon looking structure for this area when it's finished !

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Sept 6
The site is very wide along the line of a block based on small blocks. I see where they where pouring piers the last time I was there only a week a go is going to be a staging area and for concrete trucks. The rear building is now brace using a box frame on 3 sides.

AHK

Member Bio
Reaction score
Two photos from this week. First, a general view of the construction activities at the west portion of the site - very busy. The second photo shows the staging platform currently being prepared - support columns and wood formwork in place - rebar work to come.

1-1.jpg

1-2.jpg