Toronto KING Toronto | 57.6m | 16s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

Last edited:
I would say in theory heritage standards are higher however, I'm not convinced it translates into practice.

This proposal is a joke, right? How could simply knocking down a beautiful building in one of the city's most cohesive streets be even considered?

If this is being built on 489 King, it isn't even saving the facade, given that it looks like the elevation shows retail units (which are on the street). It also looks to be incredibly bland, and having a garage door opening up onto King is unacceptable.

Area residents and businesses better start organizing.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree. I am not the person to be against replacing any building but knocking down 489 would be horrible. This strip of King W is one of the few places where the older buildings have been given a new life and created a vibrant street. Putting a tower that doesn't even attempt to blend in makes no sense.

It's one crude elevation drawing with absolutely no reference to which direction it is facing. Also, the streetlevel doesn't look anything like the typical main street frontage being built in Toronto. I think some are jumping to conclusions with the worst possible outcome.

It's one crude elevation drawing with absolutely no reference to which direction it is facing. Also, the streetlevel doesn't look anything like the typical main street frontage being built in Toronto. I think some are jumping to conclusions with the worst possible outcome.

Let's hope so. Allied owns a lot of the real estate in the area, and if an outright demo is what they have in mind for 489 we are in for some ugly fights.

This is the rendering from the first page of the thread.

489-499_KingW_1.jpg

I suspect that the line drawing is showing the side of the tower at the back of the site, and that the portion of the heritage building facing King Street will remain as is. If so, this is actually very similar to what's happening at Five Condos and Massey Tower.

Last edited:
Actually, I jumped the gun too early. Exploring the map and looking at the render, it seems as if the modern structure on King Street is planned where the asian restaurant currently sits.

Looks like the heritage buildings on King won't be touched, and we'll get more offices in the area. I'm waiting to see how they plan on handling the heritage buildings at Wellington, but overall it's a decent project for the area.

Actually, I jumped the gun too early. Exploring the map and looking at the render, it seems as if the modern structure on King Street is planned where the asian restaurant currently sits.

Looks like the heritage buildings on King won't be touched, and we'll get more offices in the area. I'm waiting to see how they plan on handling the heritage buildings at Wellington, but overall it's a decent project for the area.

Nope, the rendering is from a couple of years ago. The new "stick it to you" attitude from Allied and Emory himself is to demolish all of these buildings. It must be their unique way of negotiating with the neighbourhood. Info will be posted I am sure very soon on this project from hell. The project has nothing to do with buildings on Wellington.

Oddly enough, none of these structures is heritage-designated or even listed, unless I am using the database incorrectly.

Back