Toronto KING Toronto | 57.6m | 16s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

Oh so the cats are technically going into this development but oriented toward the Well?
Technically, the property where 'The Cats' will be, will be subject of another application, but yeah, it'll be tied to public benefits from this one.

Technically, the property where 'The Cats' will be, will be subject of another application, but yeah, it'll be tied to public benefits from this one.

Found this in the cover letter for the latest submission:
Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 12.23.37 PM.png

So now I'm confused -- is the park related to this development at all? The land is becoming a public park to fulfill the parkland requirement for The Well, but is the expectation that s. 37 funds from this development will help build the park?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 12.23.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 12.23.37 PM.png
    170.8 KB · Views: 525

How would one travel between "The Cats" and King Street West? Is there a pedestrian connection through the building to facilitate the movement, or would one of the adjacent laneways have to be used?

I worry that the courtyard will become drab and underutilized over time. Ensuring plenty of sun coverage in the court yard will be key to ensuring it is an attractive space. Also, from the renders it looks like the courtyard will be accessible from the retail stores, which should increase activity in the space. Is there any specific programming planned for the courtyard?

If you've seen the latest iteration and said (or have thought something along the lines of) "okay, amazing, just build it now", I strongly recommend sending an email to the planner in charge of this file:

Dan Nicholson
Planner
(416) 397-4077
Dan.Nicholson@toronto.ca

Anyone who was at the first public consultation would've heard him express a whole bunch of (IMHO) mostly arbitrary nitpicking that could hamper some of the most special elements of this project, and I gather there is some lingering intractability with some of those (along with the introduction of some new ones). There are frankly a whole bunch of city guidelines that just don't apply well to a project this unique, and there appears to be something close to zero recognition of that reality on the part of the planner.

In my experience, some well placed emails/letters/calls to the planner can make a not-insignificant difference in the grand scheme. It's got to be polite and respectful, of course, but it can genuinely make a difference in the eyes of some of the planners. People who live or work nearby (and are willing to share their address) are especially important voices of support.

If you've seen the latest iteration and said (or have thought something along the lines of) "okay, amazing, just build it now", I strongly recommend sending an email to the planner in charge of this file:

Dan Nicholson
Planner
(416) 397-4077
Dan.Nicholson@toronto.ca

Anyone who was at the first public consultation would've heard him express a whole bunch of (IMHO) mostly arbitrary nitpicking that could hamper some of the most special elements of this project, and I gather there is some lingering intractability with some of those (along with the introduction of some new ones). There are frankly a whole bunch of city guidelines that just don't apply well to a project this unique, and there appears to be something close to zero recognition of that reality on the part of the planner.

In my experience, some well placed emails/letters/calls to the planner can make a not-insignificant difference in the grand scheme. It's got to be polite and respectful, of course, but it can genuinely make a difference in the eyes of some of the planners. People who live or work nearby (and are willing to share their address) are especially important voices of support.

Response from Dan Nicholson to my inquiry about the status:

"The application has been appealed to the Ontario Municipal Board, so I'm afraid there's no question of the project being dealt with prior to the Council hiatus. The project is certainly unique, but there are differences of opinion as to whether its uniqueness is as substantial an asset as some suggest and whether the project would fit in well on a street as attractive and unique as King Street West. In any event, it will take a little longer to sort out what the final form of the development will be."
Dan Nicholson, Senior Planner
City Planning Division, Toronto and East York District

Response from Dan Nicholson to my inquiry about the status:

"The application has been appealed to the Ontario Municipal Board, so I'm afraid there's no question of the project being dealt with prior to the Council hiatus. The project is certainly unique, but there are differences of opinion as to whether its uniqueness is as substantial an asset as some suggest and whether the project would fit in well on a street as attractive and unique as King Street West. In any event, it will take a little longer to sort out what the final form of the development will be."
Dan Nicholson, Senior Planner
City Planning Division, Toronto and East York District

Oh Christ Almighty, it’s a strip club and a surface parking lot right now.

Dan Nicholson is literally why we cannot have nice things.

Dan Nicholson is literally why we cannot have nice things.

Why? He's just working within the existing guidelines.

What do you want him to do? The City hasn't even replaced the chief planner yet who quit 6 months ago.

Guidelines are just that, guidelines, not sacrosanct. Seriously - just build it. Now. Before this cycle ends we need more of these non-generic results.

Why? He's just working within the existing guidelines.

What do you want him to do? The City hasn't even replaced the chief planner yet who quit 6 months ago.

Planners are given latitude to make concessions based on a number of factors, and discretion plays an important role in their jobs. I went to both public consultations for this project and observed Nicholson going out of his way to point out that they wouldn't budge an inch from some of the planning guidelines, to the point where it was noticeably odd; I'd never witnessed that before.

It smacked of an ingrained disdain for starchitecture, not of a planner making best efforts at good planning.

Back