Toronto King-Liberty GO Station | 21.39m | 3s | Metrolinx | WSP

Looks like this station is being rapidly value engineered and delayed due to rising costs....

Construction scheduled to start in January 2024 and substantial completion estimated for December 2027. The station is estimated to be in-service date by March 2028.

Changes to Station Design Since February 2021, the following notable changes have been made to the King-Liberty Station design: 
  1. The northern island platform has been removed and the station is now configured around a single island platform. 
  2. The eastern and western pedestrian bridges were straightened and shortened. 
  3. The western bridge has been shifted further west. 
  4. The second and third entrances located at Sudbury Street and Joe Shuster Way associated with the west bridge respectively, were minimized to only accommodate stairs and elevators.

Looks like they moved the pedestrian bridge and removed the ramp from Sudbury.

Before:
Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 9.09.22 PM.png

After (the image in the PDF is extremely blurry):
Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 9.04.01 PM.png

These are some pretty significant downgrades IMO. Also makes me wonder why they even bothered to expropriate and demolish 99 Sudbury.

The 99 Sudbury question was always odd to me as the station design always excluded it entirely.

I understand the platform removal here as the second platform required the elimination of one of the planned tracks here. With 2 platforms there would have only been 7 through tracks, which may have been identified as a limiting issue causing its removal.

I don't understand why they would push the west overpass even more west. The original plan had it functioning as a pedestrian overpass with a direct path between Queen West and King West via Abell to the north and Joe Shuster south. The revised position is now roughly 100meters offset from any north/south streets. It dumps you out midblock on both sides. That is super annoying.

Also, does any one know why Metrolinx expropriated and demolished 99 Sudbury? They said it was because of this station but none of their plans make any use of that land.

I don't understand why they would push the west overpass even more west. The original plan had it functioning as a pedestrian overpass with a direct path between Queen West and King West via Abell to the north and Joe Shuster south. The revised position is now roughly 100meters offset from any north/south streets. It dumps you out midblock on both sides. That is super annoying.
Yup, the new placement of the bridge is terrible. It's also strange to me that there's been zero public consultation on these (pretty consequential) design changes.

Also, does any one know why Metrolinx expropriated and demolished 99 Sudbury? They said it was because of this station but none of their plans make any use of that land.

Maybe it is one of their cost recovery development schemes - because you can bet that it won't stay empty.

AoD

I guess they left in space for a second platform

Agree. This makes no sense.

The 'updated' linked PDF explicitly states that the station plan shown above does not represent a final design.
I highly doubt they'd move the bridge further west. This plan really neglects how the bridge and station would be used by locals. As it appears, the shortest route between Sudbury and Liberty would mean thousands of people daily using the train platform as a thruway and not a station.

Back