Toronto King East Centre | 140m | 39s | First Gulf | WZMH

I just realized... there goes the nice view from the venue above the Globe and Mail..

Yep, and the nice view of the Globe and Mail building from the west. Wasn't the original proposal for the new building to be further west in the parking lot?

So the surface parking lot stays? :-(

This simple glass box design is not what I want to see in St Lawrence! Why are we making this part of the city as generic as the rest of the glass box districts? This city seems to put very little effort into protecting the character of our historic districts. Money seems to be the only concern lately.

"This simple glass box design is not what I want to see in St Lawrence! "

Well Great Gulf do - what are ya gonna do?

Why dont they create a second phase of the Globe & Mail type of building. That would really enhance that block even more .

For better or worse, I think this is the way King East (the area, not the building) should be developed. King West has the charm of older buildings and large glass offices don't really fit with that. King East has no such charm, and developers won't build charming buildings like those already on King West. So the only realistic option is glass (though unique designs rather than boxes are always welcome). I think a decade of this kind of building could really transform King East if the ground-level is done well.

^ Agreed. The south side of Front opposite this development oozes Victorian industrial charm. Sure, there's a lot of underused space down this way, i.e. lots of potential for blank-slate redevelopment, but I don't understand why glass should be the only way to go.

The reality is that glassy corporate modernism in this city often translates to long, cold, inarticulate walls of glass with unengaging retail, especially on big sites. Exhibit A is just next door: a funky high-budget tower on a blank slate... that treats passers-by with little more than reflections and windowfilm.

This is one of the oldest parts of the city. Why not aim for materials and architectural expression that reflect its past and enhance rather than detract from its fine-grained, walkable nature? Developers like Allied get this. First Gulf just aren't there yet.

July 07
Just up load these shots
43679753292_594de99d49_b.jpg

42824036795_fa3da47b8e_b.jpg

43011906264_5020a88434_b.jpg

43011903484_b0eaf88dd7_b.jpg

41919318100_a0a1d1939f_b.jpg

41919311230_2067a7cbc1_b.jpg

43011894534_eff34381e0_b.jpg

I'm thankful that they're putting some office space in the east end. Now if we could only get something like this Jarvis/Wellesley (sw corner). Then 4-5 more to the south.

Last edited:

Back