Toronto King East Centre | 140m | 39s | First Gulf | WZMH

I don't think First Gulf had an option. Toronto has instituted some strict green roof policies if I remember correctly.

Green roof = lipstick on a pig.

Everything below the roof is ghastly. Even if this were in a Highway 403 industrial park I'd consider it a failure of gargantuan proportions.

Disagree ... judging by the new office buildings going up in Markham / Mississauga ... I'd put this on par with them. I mean its a glass box with a somewhat interesting shape ... not much more to see here ... is BA much better ? Maybe a little but I doubt BA 2 will be.

I think what puts people off is the context with the original Sun building.

I don't think First Gulf had an option. Toronto has instituted some strict green roof policies if I remember correctly.

Builders may use white roofs as well, as best as I know.

Can what we see in the images above sustain plantings? It's a very thin layer of soil.

In my opinion this is some of the nicest glass on King St East. Not too crazy about the red brick but I guess context matters...

JV0II.jpg

j8gZM.jpg

CAwMs.jpg

I really like how this stretch of King Street is evolving. The glass addition is not noticeable from the street but the new retail units enliven the walk. Within about five years there will be a continuous streetwall from here to Distillery. Pictures taken 3 November 2012

IMG_1350_1-L.jpg

IMG_1352_1-L.jpg

IMG_1354_1-L.jpg

They have begun to install the vertical window ornaments on the Coca Cola office addition..

(click for larger image)
2.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 440
Wow the fins actually are actually changing my mind on the look. The addition is all of sudden looking good.

Agreed. The fins are a big improvement. They add a little contemporary flair to what would otherwise look like a suburban office park. I'm actually kind of surprised that detail made it through to execution.

I'm eager to see the Coca-Cola signage go up.

Back to more mundane things, I noticed this morning that workmen were messing with the fins on the east elevation, removing the previously installed horizontal banding elements..

I think actually they are installing a black mullion on top of the existing metal (silver) frame.

I was critical of the overall frankenstein nature of the entire complex (comparative to Metropolis/Toronto Life/10 Dundas) , including the Coca Cola addition, however, I now must admit that I think the Coca Cola addition is beginning to look great. I am looking forward to seeing the building completed with the fins, black mullions, outdoor spaces and Coca Cola signage.

Back