Toronto King Blue by Greenland | 155.75m | 48s | Greenland | Arcadis

Uh...as vintage warehouse buildings go, it's ok. As part of this project, it, and its periphery will look much better than it did. From what I can tell, it appears to give the impression of a stand-alone, completely renovated building, rather than the worst kind of paste-on facadectomy.
Yes it does. The two towers won't be on top of the warehouse, but beside it, so it won't have the appearance of a facadectomy at all. Plus, the six storey podium of the main tower will be the same height as the warehouse, continuing the scale of the streetscape east.

This should be a positive contribution to streetlife. You can usually measure the quality of a pedestrian streetscape by the number of functioning doors, and with six retail entrances on King and six on Mercer, this development measures up. The parking entrance is fairly discrete as well.

\

So it should rise around 550-600 feet.

Not bad at all.
The resolution is a little fuzzy but it looks like 177 metres (581 feet).

I find it telling that a proposed 177m = 581 foot tower is getting so little attention, most likely due to posters on UT becoming blase in the current unprecedented building boom. (The 1964-1992 skyscraper boom was certainly larger in relative terms, especially in the first half of that period, but in absolute terms, measured in amount of construction per year, did not match what is currently underway.)

It was only a few years ago that people were exclaiming over the height of RoCP North at 154m, while today this proposed new building, 15% taller than RoCP North, is almost ignored. I admit that the sheer number of towers proposed or under construction in the area is overwhelming, and there is only so much attention to go around. But still, 177 metres!

Mongo,

I'm as pumped as the next UT member, but this one is just too far in the future to get too tumescent about yet.

I find it telling that a proposed 177m = 581 foot tower is getting so little attention, most likely due to posters on UT becoming blase in the current unprecedented building boom.

LOL...I think that Mongo has a point - the last few years have been an amazing time to be a skyscraper geek in Toronto....

Hopefully those good times will continue for a while yet...:D

I'm as pumped as the next UT member, but this one is just too far in the future to get too tumescent about yet.

I had to look up "tumescent." As I suspected, it more or less means "to get a hard-on."

But he's right. We've all seen cool renderings come and go, which leaves the best of us a bit deflated.

^ No, it all depends on the context that the proposed tower is in. Opposition will happen in for a 50 metre building in height if it's in the middle of an established low-scale neighbourhood.

^ No, it all depends on the context that the proposed tower is in. Opposition will happen in for a 50 metre building in height if it's in the middle of an established low-scale neighbourhood.

Point towers could be skinny and tall with a whole lot less impact in a low scale neighbour hood than a full block midrise shadowing a neighbourhood for half of the day,maybe these days the city should concentrate more on the design than the height. Anytime a developer proposes any thing over 35-40 storys the city starts panicking worrying of what the neighbourhood is going to say about the height rather than the design.

August 11

The Westinghouse building on the southeast corner of Blue Jays Way and King West.
2758080526_e7cc68c159_b.jpg

Looking northeast at the building site from Blue Jays Way and Mercer St.
2758080544_93c9f9bd35_b.jpg

Wayne Gretzky's and Second City on the right.
2758080556_63d21ab801_b.jpg

Back