Toronto KESKUS Estonian Cultural Centre | 17.07m | 3s | Kongats

seems odd that an organization from an obscure country with roughly the population of ottawa is building a brand new cultural centre that looks pretty nice. is marty byrde involved with this development?

Not really - I think Toronto has one of the largest Estonian population in the world outside Estonia proper (and even more Canadian-born with Estonian heritage). Make sense for it to be right by Tartu - and the neighbourhood is filled with projects by Uno Prii as a plus.

Also, the principal of Kongats (Alar Kongats) is also Estonian-Canadian as well:

AoD

Last edited:
This project I believe is also backed by the Northern Birch Credit Union (which is the recently amalgamated Estonian and Latvian Credit Unions based in Toronto), so there is capital backing for the project.

On my Covid pound reduction walk by this site, I noticed the relevant parking lot entrance has been amber taped up. And it appears the parking vendor machine has been removed. There has been no vehicles parked there for a week now...

...it could mean something. Or a nothing burger. Hard to tell until the diggers arrive on the scene. But I thought I should post this in case it is something.

New rendering showing the Victorian house that's planned to be renovated as well:

esto.JPG

On my Covid pound reduction walk by this site, I noticed the relevant parking lot entrance has been amber taped up. And it appears the parking vendor machine has been removed. There has been no vehicles parked there for a week now...

...it could mean something. Or a nothing burger. Hard to tell until the diggers arrive on the scene. But I thought I should post this in case it is something.

If your phone joins you on your walks, pics next time, please! :D

New rendering showing the Victorian house that's planned to be renovated as well:
I appreciate what the previous Tibetan Buddhist occupants did with the outside walls of this heritage component at the time. But in the end, that's a hell of a lot of white paint the current owners will have to remove to bring it back to its original glory. I wish them the best of luck in that. >.<

If your phone joins you on your walks, pics next time, please! :D
Er...when I gain the confidence to do so I will. 😅

Update: They've removed the yellow tape and vehicles are back to using it as a parking lot. So a nothing burger...

...the only silver lining I guess, they didn't replace the parking vendor machine as of posting this. So parking is free for now I guess...and likely to Mr.Towered's horror. But it does beg the fact since there is no said vendor machine, the lot maybe on its last days? Again, hard to tell until the diggers show up.

Either way, sorry for the false alarm. :(

Update #2: The yellow tape is back up at the entrance of said parking lot mostly cleared of vehicles. With a discrete makeshift "Closed of Construction" posted on an 8 1/2 x 11" sign tacked up on a corresponding entrance post. And an official looking person checking the relevant property including the heritage building...

"Why didn't you ask him if this is the Big Deal, Uta?"

...err...just thought of that now, actually. >.<

Anywhoose...hope this isn't another false alarm in bumping this thread again. Sorry in advance if it is. :(

Update #3: The relative parking lot is now *surrounded by industrial sized blue fencing. Thus I can say, it's at least it's a little more than a nothing burger this time. :)

*Note: No moar short cuts from Maddi to Huron for me! >.<

Update #4: Tree removal around the perimeter of this site took place a few days ago. A little sad, as a *tree I had past there a billion times since moving to this respective area is now completely vaporized...

...the silver lining I guess, is that many more trees will be added if the renderings are correct when this project is near to completion. And I see the mulched proceeds of said down trees are now being used in Paul Martel Park across the road...so nothing has gone to waste. For what that's all worth.

Anywhoose, that's it for now.

*Edit/PS: The downed tree in question is picted in the first 2 photos provided by Mr. C above.

A couple new rendering views from their website:

eston1.JPG
eston2.JPG

KESKUS construction update

Oct 18, 2021

KESKUS is indeed readying to break ground! Milestones have been met and the necessary approvals and clearances for this architecturally significant building are coming in. Given the build is over TTC subway tunnels, monitoring equipment is being installed in the tunnels in preparation for construction.

Once the final steps are completed construction will commence. The caisson machines, the rebar, all is ordered and standing by! Please sign up for the KESKUS newsletter so that you will receive project news firsthand and right away.

keskus.JPG

Where are the tunnels actually running under there?

...I could answer this myslef, but I'd rather not spend a day with my ears to the ground triangulating where the subway train passing underneath is the the loudest. >.<

Back