Toronto Karma Condos | 165.8m | 50s | Lifetime | a—A

Not built yet, but soon to be started. Some info I received from Grenville Residence Inc today:

From another email:

yup. karma raked. yonge street subway line sites - the condo boom's last belles of the ball....

Digging this morning at the Karma site (view from my balcony).

One of the people on site collected soil samples before the large holes were refilled.

Last edited:
It looks like they've uncovered the foundations of the buildings that used to be on the parking lot. I didn't really see much when I walked by (lots of bricks, and I saw something that looked like rotted out floor joists), but it might be worth a walk-by for any urban archaeologists on the forum.

Some activity at the Karma site.

- 2 large trees were removed this weekend.
- Demolition of the back portion of the heritage building this morning
(I believe front portion is to be retained and moved to east side of site)

Last edited:
some official confirmation received in the mail:

karma08012012agt_r1_c1.jpg

Application: Partial Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M4Y 1A1

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 12 166727 FND 00 PP Accepted Date: Aug 21, 2012

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res Partial Permit - Foundation

Description: Part Permit - This is for the a new 50 storey mixed use building. There will be retail on the ground floor and residential above. There will be 495 residential units and 3 ground floor retail units. There will also be 5 levels of below grade parking garage with 126 parking spaces and 437 bicycle lockers. This is known as 21 Grenville Street. Refer to associated planning folders and OMB decision.

I may have missed this earlier in the thread, but what are they planning on doing with the heritage building during construction? Will they move it off site, like Pinnacle on Adelaide, or will they support it and build under it, like James Cooper Mansion?

I think the plan is to move the building and incorporate it into the east side of the podium (it currently sits on the west side of the lot)

I wonder what the use for the heritage building will be? It would be brilliant if it were leased out by the developer as a restaurant to bring a little life to the street.

I wonder what the use for the heritage building will be? It would be brilliant if it were leased out by the developer as a restaurant to bring a little life to the street.

The original proposal brought to the community only had retail in the heritage building. I'm glad to see there will be three units-this was something the community asked for, so hey, those community consultation meetings aren't a complete a waste of time.

Some heavy equipment on site today.

Also, saw a notice that 1 lane of Grenville would be closed as of November 2012 for approx. 36 months for staging area.

image.jpg

Taken today, a very long way to go, but on their way.

Sorry for the poor quality, took it with my iPhone, not the best camera in the world.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 436
Last edited by a moderator:
I may have missed this earlier in the thread, but what are they planning on doing with the heritage building during construction? Will they move it off site, like Pinnacle on Adelaide, or will they support it and build under it, like James Cooper Mansion?

They must treat it properly, wouldn't want to cause bad karma :cool:

Back