Toronto Jarvis & Earl Place | 198.89m | 58s | Originate | Kirkor

This bit is interesting:

"and we are also exploring the potential of buying some additional lands in order to build a park adjacent to the site,” said Sheffer. “We really think that would be excellent for the neighbourhood, which doesn’t have a ton of programmed park space.”

What adjacent land? Directly adjacent?

There are 3 parcels roughly that are directly adjacent.

One is the development parcel at 10 Huntley; that would certainly make a plaintive poster in that thread happy; that would seem an expensive buy for park space, and would remove parking for the existing apartment unless the park was strata, which PF&R rightly hates.

Parcel 2 is this duplex:

1660077276192.png

While parcel 3 is this:

1660077307026.png

Which many would say has a certain charm and would be a shame to lose.

The duplex at 6-8 Huntley would only provide a 500m2 space; which would get very little sun; though it on its own, would carry the possible benefit of rendering the charming apartment in parcel 3 functionally undevelopable.

This parking lot behind the Church, however, would make an excellent park. Though I'm not sure the Church would agree:

1660077611032.png

It would afford ~ 1100m2

Last edited:
Official Application is up on the AIC:

1660811285134.png

*Docs*

Renders are already up on the front page, so we'll skip ahead to Site Plan, Planning and Landscape Docs:

1660811901474.png

1660811975717.png

1660812057449.png

1660812085314.png

1660812126751.png

Planning Docs confirm that the proposal is for offisite Parkland dedication at 6-8 Huntley:

1660812521834.png

Note that the proponent is also seeking relief from the Tall Building Design Guidelines (setbacks/separation) on the exact basis I outlined just above:

This bit is interesting:

"and we are also exploring the potential of buying some additional lands in order to build a park adjacent to the site,” said Sheffer. “We really think that would be excellent for the neighbourhood, which doesn’t have a ton of programmed park space.”

What adjacent land? Directly adjacent?

Parcel 2 is this duplex:

View attachment 418973

The duplex at 6-8 Huntley would only provide a 500m2 space; which would get very little sun; though it on its own, would carry the possible benefit of rendering the charming apartment in parcel 3 functionally undevelopable.

Landscape Plan:

1660813159937.png

Comments on Landscape Plan:

Trees are proposed on both the Jarvis and Earl P. frontages.

Soil volumes are adequate (32.5m3) (30 is the minimum City requirement)

Temporary Irrigation is proposed for 4 years. (permanent would be preferable, but this is ok)

Species List: Almost enitrely non-native.

Trees are Ginko (most useless tree ever from an ecological perspective, in Toronto) and Black Gum which is native, to swamps near the shores of Lake Erie

But the herbs...........LOL

1660813427401.png

Little Bluestem is native, and a fine choice.

But Pacific Rim Daffodil, native? Not even to North America! (btw, I'm ok w/daffodils.........I just want Landscape Architects to know their plants; and be honest here)
Sea Thrift is native to the west coast from Northern California to Alaska.

I am surprised they are using the first level corner of the building for an amenity space. That seems like a very poor plan for that space. Why not extend the retail? Did they not have any better ideas?

I don’t know what the existing trees on Earl St are, but they smell incredible every May.

I am surprised they are using the first level corner of the building for an amenity space. That seems like a very poor plan for that space. Why not extend the retail? Did they not have any better ideas?
But how else will the condo owners feel they are better than the rest of the neighbourhood if they don't have an entrance right at the corner?

This one had a resubmission, still at 58s, on March 22 '23.

It was subsequently appealed to the OLT on March 31st.

An Appeals Report is headed to the next meeting of TEYCC recommending staff attend the OLT in opposition.

A quick read of staff's objections leads me to believe that they are not opposed, in principle to shifting this site from Neighbourhoods to Mixed-use. They take issue w/the details.

From the above report:

1694095753379.png

1694095813514.png

Someone want to dig up the OLT Case link please; for some reason I'm not finding it.

Back