Toronto The James at Scrivener Square | 81.65m | 21s | Tricon | Graziani + Corazza

I like it - seems like the city would never just let a park exist in that that location given its location.

A lawn owned by the developer is hardly a park that the city would never let exist. At least it hasn't been a parking lot this entire time.

Isn't that exactly what they're doing?

I think they should pull it back some more to line up with the station headhouse or at least the clocktower.

A building in this location works best in deference to the bigger landmark beside it.

So this is once again an active file all concerned. So says a buddy who owns in this building. Thornwood Residents are rallying for changes to the proposal, and upset that their suggestions as channeled via official fora in the past, have not made it into any redesign.

A lawn owned by the developer is hardly a park that the city would never let exist. At least it hasn't been a parking lot this entire time.

Not too long ago...

s1465_fl0046_id0008.jpg

s1465_fl0194_id0042.jpg

f1526_fl0001_it0100.jpg

f1526_fl0001_it0110.jpg

f1526_fl0001_it0112.jpg

The difference between the old and new LCBO stores is night and day. The previous interior had cheap drop ceilings at about 9 feet, and every architectural detail of the old station had been plastered over. No-one could have guessed how fantastic the renovation would come out based on the horrid confines of the older store.

The difference between the old and new LCBO stores is night and day. The previous interior had cheap drop ceilings at about 9 feet, and every architectural detail of the old station had been plastered over. No-one could have guessed how fantastic the renovation would come out based on the horrid confines of the older store.

I had a family member who worked in the store in the 90s. He said that there was still original station signage hanging in the office and locker areas. The original washrooms were practically untouched. There was a little spot near the entrance of the store where you could peak through the cheap drop ceilings and enjoy the majesty of the original interior.

Drop ceilings, even in the main passenger waiting area? The place with the 30+ foot ceilings today?

Drop ceilings, even in the main passenger waiting area? The place with the 30+ foot ceilings today?
Yup! It was 1950s/60s "hide the old stuff" thinking at its finest. The place felt cramped and ugly. Of course it's now one of the most beautiful stores anywhere.

It's hard to imagine anyone doing that today. But it was routine 50 years ago to cover up, paint over, or strip ornate old interiors. It meant the interior of the store looked fresh and modern and no one had to pay the costs of maintaining an ornate interior in a style that was considered dated anyway.

Those old LCBO's that only had an order desk didn't really need much room. At least not for the customers. I'm sure they had a lot of space for the booze in the back.

Those old LCBO's that only had an order desk didn't really need much room. At least not for the customers. I'm sure they had a lot of space for the booze in the back.

I'm not that old. :) (Admittedly, I have a very vague memory of accompanying my granddad to an LCBO where he went to a counter)

By the time I moved to Toronto, the old Summerhill LCBO had self-serve shelves. I probably went twice before it shut down for the renovations. But, yes, it's possible that its size was influenced by the fact that it had been there for decades and originally had order desks. There was a tiny LCBO in Ottawa (at Carling and Woodroffe) which closed 8 or so years ago, the size of which reflected the earlier model of booze sales in this province.

Back