Toronto The Ivy | 110.33m | 34s | Tricon | Graziani + Corazza

That's the way life goes, sweetie. I'm not lamenting the dozens of gay clubs we've lost over the decades.

Maybe not, but it’s absolutely fair to lament the loss of the last major gay club. Who’s going to open up a new one now?

Today.
53A5DB09-6FEA-4D86-B2C8-71D80A2B1322.jpeg

A plaque or something to commemorate the queer history of the site should be added as part of the project. I know it's no Stonewall Inn but it sure holds a (soft) spot to some in Toronto's memory.

Forgive the ignorance but what is the significance here in the gay community? I'm aware of the significant and sometimes painful history of the clocktower site that is now Halo, but am not aware of what happened here.

Forgive the ignorance but what is the significance here in the gay community? I'm aware of the significant and sometimes painful history of the clocktower site that is now Halo, but am not aware of what happened here.

Nothing happened here in the historical sense. Fly was the city's largest gay nightclub for decades and was known as "Babylon" in the Queer as Folk series. There are really no large queer dance clubs left, so this is a loss of a community space. It coincides with the weakening of businesses in the gay village and the decline of Toronto's nighlife overall, but the impact is more acutely felt when there are fewer truly safe spaces available to the LGBTQ community.

Back