Toronto Ivy Condos | 102.41m | 32s | Dream | RAW Design

I appreciate that this is not a commonly held opinion around here.

Not every street needs to be developed as if it is an arterial. Different streets and classes of street should be developed differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was the intent to grow this area out much like the entertainment district (hopefully with more variation though) this is right downtown. I don't see how it makes sense to treat it like a sleepy bedroom neighbourhood.

I thought it was the intent to grow this area out much like the entertainment district (hopefully with more variation though) this is right downtown. I don't see how it makes sense to treat it like a sleepy bedroom neighbourhood.

In what City policy document does it suggest that this area should be developed like the entertainment district?

Don't get me wrong... Dundas? Jarvis? Church? Sure, hit it with density. Mutual & Dalhousie are not those streets. We classify different streets for a reason, or should we just throw out any sort attempts to actually plan an area... anything goes anywhere.

Looks like RAW is behind the design of this one...

Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 5.25.48 PM.png

The supporting documents have been added to the city's website.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 5.25.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 5.25.48 PM.png
    397.4 KB · Views: 2,175
I'm going to withhold judgement until the materials are apparent, but the shape is pretty cool!

What’s wrong with that? Side streets don’t have to be side streets forever. The density of areas can (and should) grow.

Yes its downtown. Every single street should be dense and vibrant. We don't need quiet little sleepy street here. They are all over the city already.

Yes its downtown. Every single street should be dense and vibrant. We don't need quiet little sleepy street here. They are all over the city already.
Every street doesn't need to be bustling with people and action. That's not even healthy to be exposed to on a constant basis. Everyone needs peace and solitude to replenish themselves. It would be nice to see more retail, office space, restaurants, etc. built off our linear arterial streets, but to eliminate them all would be foolish. Should we just raze neighbourhoods like Cabbagetown, The Annex, etc. because they aren't full of hoopla? Why are you so put off by quietness? Does too much introspection depress you?

Overlooking the site of 71 Mutual, with Arena Gardens Park across the street:

IMG_9157.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9157.jpg
    IMG_9157.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 2,378
I believe the one they tore down had burned
61 Mutual was demolished for numerous issues: structurally the home was comprised when the original owner decided to dig a secondary basement level which effected the foundation.
Numerous roof leaks created a bathtub effect in the sub basement, where water was collecting making the situation extremely difficult to resolve.

Back