Toronto Toronto Island Park Master Plan | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

Given the history, I am *sure* the most vocal residents would have a fit. But discounting the NIMBYies, a tunnel would take away the best asset - the view - from this route. Having to walk/ride through a tunnel sounded like an charmless way to access an island park.

For all the inconveniences of the ferry, what it does offer is connection from the centre of the city that can't be replicated easily by a fixed link. IMO, the fixed links at both ends (in the long run) serves more as a way to complete the circuit of green space, and not so much so as an easy way to access the park from the core.

AoD
Interesting. You are right that there could be a strong NIMBY contingent even though they would strongly benefit from a tunnel.

Agreed that a tunnel or bridge is a charmless way to access the island vs the ferry. It does a much better job with handling the capacity though. No waiting around for a ferry. I think the city would still need to run the ferry though based on the location of the tunnel and centre island. It would take the edge off the ferries.

As somebody that goes to the island many times each year, I have never found the ferries to be a problem. They run like clockwork and frequently enough. Also, if you do find the need to make it to the island immediately, there is always the water taxies.

Not to say the ferries/water taxies service couldn't be improved (particularly the terminals/crush loads in summer) - but to me the change of mode is a bonus to the Island experience, not a liability. A land route is mundane - it becomes "just another park by the lake", not a psychologically removed space that you need to ride a boat to get to.

That's not to say a fixed link isn't a good idea (for so many reasons, it is), but saying that the Islands as an experience is so much better served by ferries/boats that make the lake a fundamental part of the journey.

AoD

Last edited:
The West Donlands developments will add several hectares of residents wanting to get over to the islands. A tunnel or bridge would be more desirable than having to travel all the way the the ferry docks to get to the islands.

89e5-Port-Lands-map-from-presentation.png

From link.

Last edited:
^ Though maybe we should invest in the recreational infrastructure within the Portlands in order to provide a worthwhile alternative to the islands?

A new ferry route to the Portlands could also be made?

^ Though maybe we should invest in the recreational infrastructure within the Portlands in order to provide a worthwhile alternative to the islands?

Who would pay for that? Also why would we need a ferry to the Portlands?

Who would pay for that? Also why would we need a ferry to the Portlands?

We certainly don't need a ferry to the Portlands at the moment. Hypothetically though, once the entire Portlands is developed as per the image above, maybe another ferry terminal could be considered. It would be closer to a lot of the density coming to the East End and West Donlands in addition to the Portlands, be decently connected to the transit network, and can help with peak loads at the Jack Layton Terminal.

Of course it should be evaluated with other options (such as some sort of bridge, or expanded service at the current terminal) to make sure it actually makes sense to build that service. I'm not familiar with the operations costs of the Island ferry, but if we are talking about strictly capital costs, I sincerely hope that Waterfront Toronto makes good use of tax-increment financing in the Portlands to build some of this infrastructure.

We certainly don't need a ferry to the Portlands at the moment. Hypothetically though, once the entire Portlands is developed as per the image above, maybe another ferry terminal could be considered. It would be closer to a lot of the density coming to the East End and West Donlands in addition to the Portlands, be decently connected to the transit network, and can help with peak loads at the Jack Layton Terminal.

Of course it should be evaluated with other options (such as some sort of bridge, or expanded service at the current terminal) to make sure it actually makes sense to build that service. I'm not familiar with the operations costs of the Island ferry, but if we are talking about strictly capital costs, I sincerely hope that Waterfront Toronto makes good use of tax-increment financing in the Portlands to build some of this infrastructure.
The east side of the islands is where the residents live it isn't a major tourist area nor is there much their other than people's homes.

The east side of the islands is where the residents live it isn't a major tourist area nor is there much their other than people's homes.
I was imagining it connect to Centre Island, not Wards Island.

Though I suppose a connection between Jack Layton and the Portlands could also be made, it would bring people over to Cherry Beach quite quickly, and might actually get some commuter usage from future residents in the Portlands.

I was imagining it connect to Centre Island, not Wards Island.

Though I suppose a connection between Jack Layton and the Portlands could also be made, it would bring people over to Cherry Beach quite quickly, and might actually get some commuter usage from future residents in the Portlands.
I'm not really a that city council has any plans to add additional ferries or lines especially ones that would connect with somewhere on the mainland. This isn't Sydney Australia or New York city where the ferries are used by comuters and run by public transport companies. The current ferries are owned and operated by the city of Toronto parks department

After the residential settle in the Portlands, along with the stores that could serve both the Portland AND Island residents, they can travel to and fro. And to get to the streetcars that will serve the Portlands, the Island residents could use them to get around.

After the residential settle in the Portlands, along with the stores that could serve both the Portland AND Island residents, they can travel to and fro. And to get to the streetcars that will serve the Portlands, the Island residents could use them to get around.
Even if that does happen I don't see a ferry being put in from wards island or a beige being built. There isn't enough demand from the islands to warrant that or a bridge or tunnel.

As I said before Toronto harbor is not like Sydney Australia or New York and we don't have large amounts of people comuting on a daily basis to and from the islands.

Under evaluation already.

Part of the Villiers Island Precinct Plan:

1619997917087.png

Its also in the Portlands Framework Plan:

1619998211145.png

This image shows what's under further study: 2 new Ferry docks (one in Portlands, there are 2 options for the site)

Locations and routes for the Ferry under consideration are shown in Red, existing service is in Orange.

1619998498286.png

All of the above are from the 2020 Marine Use Strategy, which can be found here:

Back