Toronto Toronto Island Park Master Plan | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

Yes, in places.

But there should also be more natural space, sans lighting or paving.

There's a need for picnic areas and such, but there's a lot of superfluous mowed lawn right now.

It should be entirely possible to energize a formal space from the Ferry Docks and through much of Centre Island, while naturalizing a good chunk of the rest.

I don't think that turning lawns into naturalized areas is going to do that much good for park-starved urban residents, though I agree that there are many lawns that are badly underutilized on the Islands and make the park space feel generic.

You can’t do many urban activities in a forest. Sports, festivals, and picnics are largely off the table in a naturalized area. We already have the Leslie Street Spit that's largely naturalized and a thriving bird sanctuary. I'm not saying not to naturalize anything, but too much naturalization may be detrimental to the utility of the park space in this case.

I don't think that turning lawns into naturalized areas is going to do that much good for park-starved urban residents, though I agree that there are many lawns that are badly underutilized on the Islands and make the park space feel generic.

You can’t do many urban activities in a forest. Sports, festivals, and picnics are largely off the table in a naturalized area. We already have the Leslie Street Spit that's largely naturalized and a thriving bird sanctuary. I'm not saying not to naturalize anything, but too much naturalization may be detrimental to the utility of the park space in this case.

I appreciate what you're saying; but I'm not suggesting naturalizing 1/2 the space in the park.

I'm looking at space that generally won't serve any other function; and/or is required for ecological reasons, flood management reasons, or erosion control.

Portions of the Islands are under serious threat from the above, including damage to rare habitats such as sand dunes.

As examples, this mowed edge along Lakeshore Avenue on the Islands amounts to several acres of land in total, but adds nothing.

On a car-free island the road is sufficient space for pedestrians and cyclists, and that adjacent space isn't really usable for picnics or the like:

1616089303473.png

Likewise, the absence of shoreline naturalization to a reasonable depth (not less than 10M, ideally more like 30M) leads to real risks of shoreline erosion:

1616089428017.png

There are also low-lying areas that are prone to flooding.

1616089503079.png

These will not be addressed by vastly increasing the height of this land. The paths/roads will be elevated, but not the entire space. Among the more practical ways to address this would be to consider regrading the existing land, and deepening the water-holding area in one location (increasing flood storage capacity); while berming some of the edges to guide the water where you want it to go. This allows for creating sustainably dry, usable land, while creating a wetland on the balance of the space, which could see a boardwalk and/or outlooks included to make it something to visit while on the Islands.

Worth noting, I'm not advocating all nature.

I've suggested widening Avenue of the Islands and splitting it into a dedicated bike trail and grand pedestrian path.

I also favour more varied and high quality food concessions.

Bikeshare on the Islands

And suggested a destination Children's playground as well.

I also favour discussions w/the Yacht Clubs to see if paths can be arranged through their dedicated Islands (via bridges, high enough to allow watercraft underneath) to create greater connectivity throughout the Islands.

I just think its important that the Islands be what they are; an escape from the City, not an escape to even more City.

Last edited:
If the city wants to upgrade this island with roads and buildings . It should be done in a format like Vancouver's Stanley Park. Having only one parkway road cutting through for Scenic drives and drop-offs like in Niagara Falls Victoria Park area. And only leisure entertainment buildings should be permitted. Retaining that somewhat rustic vibe of nature as a get away from the modern city center skyscrapers. If possible they should create a long boardwalk. That straddles on the northern part of islands from the airport boundaries connecting to the Lower Don lands just like Kelowna's boardwalk. For people view the skyline across the harbour etc. If New York and Vancouver main parks are off limits to condos hotels and commercial. Than Toronto should be in my opinion!

I appreciate what you're saying; but I'm not suggesting naturalizing 1/2 the space in the park.

I'm looking at space that generally won't serve any other function; and/or is required for ecological reasons, flood management reasons, or erosion control.

Portions of the Islands are under serious threat from the above, including damage to rare habitats such as sand dunes.

As examples, this mowed edge along Lakeshore Avenue on the Islands amounts to several acres of land in total, but adds nothing.

On a car-free island the road is sufficient space for pedestrians and cyclists, and that adjacent space isn't really usable for picnics or the like:

View attachment 306481

Likewise, the absence of shoreline naturalization to a reasonable depth (not less than 10M, ideally more like 30M) leads to real risks of shoreline erosion:

View attachment 306489

There are also low-lying areas that are prone to flooding.

View attachment 306490

These will not be addressed by vastly increasing the height of this land. The paths/roads will be elevated, but not the entire space. Among the more practical ways to address this would be to consider regrading the existing land, and deepening the water-holding area in one location (increasing flood storage capacity); while berming some of the edges to guide the water where you want it to go. This allows for creating sustainably dry, usable land, while creating a wetland on the balance of the space, which could see a boardwalk and/or outlooks included to make it something to visit while on the Islands.

Worth noting, I'm not advocating all nature.

I've suggested widening Avenue of the Islands and splitting it into a dedicated bike trail and grand pedestrian path.

I also favour more varied and high quality food concessions.

Bikeshare on the Islands

And suggested a destination Children's playground as well.

I also favour discussions w/the Yacht Clubs to see if paths can be arranged through their dedicated Islands (via bridges, high enough to allow watercraft underneath) to create greater connectivity throughout the Islands.

I just think its important that the Islands be what they are; an escape from the City, not an escape to even more City.

Those are some great suggestions. With regard to the last point, though, I like the Islands because I feel like they make being in the city enjoyable. I don't feel like they're an escape from the city. They're just a pleasant part of the city.

The city skyline is the most scenic part. Then, you get the fascinating compact neighbourhoods, which are unique in North America. Going to the islands is undoubtedly an urban experience, and it's a very pleasant one.

Those are some great suggestions. With regard to the last point, though, I like the Islands because I feel like they make being in the city enjoyable. I don't feel like they're an escape from the city. They're just a pleasant part of the city.

The city skyline is the most scenic part. Then, you get the fascinating compact neighbourhoods, which are unique in North America. Going to the islands is undoubtedly an urban experience, and it's a very pleasant one.
Not just that, but the Toronto Islands is the most politically progressive neighbourhood in the city.

Being from out of town and the amount of times we have visited the Toronto Islands I believe the most important thing needed is some kind of bridge link, i dont know what but something because waiting for that ferry in the summer is difficult and can imagine what it must be like in the winter. The usage for the islands would be double if people had easier access. Numerous times we just said forget not waiting for that ferry.
Also i like the one post where they mention the area at Disneland where the street with the bars, restaurants, walking only no cars nothing big but something to complement Centreville etc. The islands are large plenty of area to make it a nature area and a pleasure area all in one.

Being from out of town and the amount of times we have visited the Toronto Islands I believe the most important thing needed is some kind of bridge link, i dont know what but something because waiting for that ferry in the summer is difficult and can imagine what it must be like in the winter. The usage for the islands would be double if people had easier access. Numerous times we just said forget not waiting for that ferry.
Also i like the one post where they mention the area at Disneland where the street with the bars, restaurants, walking only no cars nothing big but something to complement Centreville etc. The islands are large plenty of area to make it a nature area and a pleasure area all in one.
A bridge won't happen because of the harbour needing to be accessed by ships heading to Redpath and also the pleasure boats and ships that do tours of the city.

Given the Island Airport and the need for a secure perimeter, the only plausible place woulld be at the Eastern channel - but there isn't much by the way of infrastructure at both ends of a bridge at that location, and certainly it is out of the way for the majority of the general public to use.

1619645730144.png

(Google Map)

AoD

A bridge won't happen because of the harbour needing to be accessed by ships heading to Redpath and also the pleasure boats and ships that do tours of the city.
A lift bridge could work. We have the technology.

You will still get inconvenienced occasionally when the channel is needed, but better than being inconvenienced all the time. :D

A lift bridge could work. We have the technology.

You will still get inconvenienced occasionally when the channel is needed, but better than being inconvenienced all the time. :D
That was already discussed when Potter airlines wanted to build one because of the boat traffic in and out of the harbour it would have to be up most of the time. Also as has been pointed out the shortest gap between the islands and the city is the western gap where the airport is located and even if there was a bridge their the airport is completely separate from the rest of the islands.

That's trully unfortunate because I feel there is a disconect between the downtown and the Islands when I go there in the summer. That eastern channel would not be ideal but better than anything especially when they complete the portlands construction. I thought of maybe something like this pic because it seems quite tall to let in boats, maybe not ships but are they not able to divert larger ships to a certain channel instead. I dont know just spit balling things, I guess I have always wanted one when I used to live in high park area, I always thought it was a shame to not have a connection.
But if not I understand the reasons as well.
1619700214078.png

Given the Island Airport and the need for a secure perimeter, the only plausible place woulld be at the Eastern channel - but there isn't much by the way of infrastructure at both ends of a bridge at that location, and certainly it is out of the way for the majority of the general public to use.

View attachment 315835
(Google Map)

AoD
I think the eastern channel is a bit of blank slate and may be an ideal place to put a tunnel. I assume this location would be better for island residents as it's closer for them and they transit all year. *If* transit is built to the portlands appropriately it won't be so bad for the mainlanders and tourists. Even without better transit, there is still plenty of people visiting the Beaches, which has a regular level of transit infrastructure. The biggest issue I see if that the city would probably need to still run 1 or 2 of the ferries.

I think the eastern channel is a bit of blank slate and may be an ideal place to put a tunnel. I assume this location would be better for island residents as it's closer for them and they transit all year. *If* transit is built to the portlands appropriately it won't be so bad for the mainlanders and tourists. Even without better transit, there is still plenty of people visiting the Beaches, which has a regular level of transit infrastructure. The biggest issue I see if that the city would probably need to still run 1 or 2 of the ferries.

Given the history, I am *sure* the most vocal residents would have a fit. But discounting the NIMBYies, a tunnel would take away the best asset - the view - from this route. Having to walk/ride through a tunnel sounded like an charmless way to access an island park.

For all the inconveniences of the ferry, what it does offer is a connection from the centre of the city that can't be replicated easily by a fixed link. IMO, the fixed links at both ends (in the long run) serves more as a way to complete the circuit of green space, and not so much so as an easy way to access the park from the core.

AoD

Last edited:

Back