News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 859     0 

toronto in other cities

kool maudit

Member Bio
Reaction score
this is on abbott street in the southwest of westmount (just above the ville-marie). as far as i know it's the only row of its type in montreal:

toinmtl.jpg

That's a very cool discovery: Toronto Bay and Gables in Montreal. Do you have the Street View link? Westmount also has those acorn signs for street names that are another slice of Toronto that are a warm reminder of home.

This thread could be for sharing other slices of Toronto in other cities, be it in terms of architecture, streetscapes, transit, or culture in general.

Hamilton is just down the road and has its own vernacular, but:

The Bay and Gables are pretty common in Hamilton too. There are examples with proper bays (half hexagon) but I don't have time to look.
00185.jpg

00130.jpg

Toronto is also known for having a lot of semi-detached duplex homes, which Hamilton (actually most of Ontario) shares (these ones even have bay and gables):
00142.jpg

Hamilton also shares the long, worn-out commercial streets, though Hamilton's tend to lack open shops and look shabbier.
00043.jpg

00025.jpg

Don't forget big corner houses with variety stores sprinkled throughout the city:
00091.jpg

Last edited:
Ottawa has bay and gables too, but they have larger yards and elements of the Ottawa vernacular, like giant two storey porches.
00016.jpg

Ottawa's Centretown is full of townhouses with some variation of the bay and gable.
00021.jpg

^ Those signs are what I was talking about earlier. They look the same; the differences in font are minimal, if any. That was the standard style of sign for the old city of Toronto up until quite recently, and fortunately they're still very common.

Though somewhat different than their Toronto counterparts, these Gothic Victorians in Oxford reminded me of home whenever I'd pass by them... probably because not much else in Oxford resembles Toronto.

glebeoxford.jpg

Back