Rail to be installed midblock between Brunel/Sandstone and Aldridge/Traders:
HuLRT2.jpeg

HuLRT3.jpeg

Aldridge/Traders:
HuLRT4.jpeg

HuLRT5.jpeg

HuLRT6.jpeg

Last edited:
On a recent map I noticed it said the station names are "subject to change". If Metrolinx has a say in the names, and decides that the "Dundas" stop shouldn't be the name for the stop on Dundas because there's a Dundas station on the Yonge line, I'll have a meltdown. Same thing for "Eglinton" come to think of it.

ETA I just noticed that the Steeles stop is named "Brampton Gateway Terminal" instead of the more logical "Steeles"....ughhhh.
I mean it is bad? The region is indeed a region and minimizing confusion is good - if someone wants to go to Steeles it would be good for that to not potentially be many rail stops in different places!

I recently has the chance to ride both the ION LRT in K-W and the Züm bus in Brampton. It was day and night.

The Züm articulated bus was pretty quick, especially in the late evening when it really... zoomed... but it was loud as heck, both from engine noise and from what sounded like hundreds of loose screws only barely keeping the thing together. Every bump on the road made a racket. The bus kneeling was loud, as were the doors. The whole experience was uncomfortable at best.

The LRT was luxury by comparison. The ride was completely smooth with the exception of running over switches, which had a muted rumble. It was fast too, with priority signalling that made it feel like first-class traffic. The trip I took was faster than it would've been by car.

If the HuLRT takes its lessons from ION, it can be amazing. So many people in this thread criticize it, I think, because their idea of light rail is based on the Toronto streetcars. That's not what a proper LRT is. Seriously, ride the ION to get a real sense of what we can accomplish with these kinds of systems in the GTA.

I recently has the chance to ride both the ION LRT in K-W and the Züm bus in Brampton. It was day and night.

The Züm articulated bus was pretty quick, especially in the late evening when it really... zoomed... but it was loud as heck, both from engine noise and from what sounded like hundreds of loose screws only barely keeping the thing together. Every bump on the road made a racket. The bus kneeling was loud, as were the doors. The whole experience was uncomfortable at best.

The LRT was luxury by comparison. The ride was completely smooth with the exception of running over switches, which had a muted rumble. It was fast too, with priority signalling that made it feel like first-class traffic. The trip I took was faster than it would've been by car.

If the HuLRT takes its lessons from ION, it can be amazing. So many people in this thread criticize it, I think, because their idea of light rail is based on the Toronto streetcars. That's not what a proper LRT is. Seriously, ride the ION to get a real sense of what we can accomplish with these kinds of systems in the GTA.
I have ridden a fair number of so call LRT in NA and they offer a smooth rider compare to any type of bus system. Same can be said for Europe with the exception of a few system with open tracks that need work. This includes the U-Bahn line 4 and 7 ROW in Frankfurt that used to be a tram line at the north end.

I rode ION on opening day and a few other times with no changes between rides for smooth ride. As long as the tracks are maintain well, the smooth ride should remain as it is today.

The issue is how drivers stop at lights and station can cause you to be toss around some what

Had the chance to ride Translohr Tram In Venice and it was one hell of a rough ride that I couldn't get a nice video of the rides.

From what I know, priority signalling will be in place from day one and that must be a must. 3 areas will have an impact on every one starting with Sq On Dr, 403 north traffic light and at the new Englewood intersection were the LRV's will enter/exit the ROW. A few intersections traffic lights could cause LRV's to wait longer due to traffic volume and they are the QEW, 403, 407, Eglinton, Dundas, Britannia and the 401. Burnhamthorpe and a few others could come into play.

We might need @Nwalsh with his Mini3pro for some good night shots **hint hint**.
Sadly, I do not have the Mini3pro but I did have a chance to test one out for a good chunk of September.

I mean it is bad? The region is indeed a region and minimizing confusion is good - if someone wants to go to Steeles it would be good for that to not potentially be many rail stops in different places!

These "rail stops" are basically the equivalent of streetcar stops. Not really confusing and station names for the on-street stops are unnecessary.

Imagine this was a raised transit network instead of an LRT. Way faster service and would be immune to all traffic concerns below.

Imagine this was a raised transit network instead of an LRT. Way faster service and would be immune to all traffic concerns below.
Does every under construction thread need to turn into a we should have built this instead thread?

I thought the we should build this stuff went into fantasy threads.

Some photos from today. I had planned to scope out the northern sections of this project but man, those winds today! I need to shoot when I have calm winds or an east wind so if I lose signal and GPS, Mini2 won't drift into Pearson 😱

Port Credit GO

DJI_0597.JPG
DJI_0599.JPG

DJI_0601.JPG
DJI_0602.JPG
DJI_0604.JPG

DJI_0609.JPG

Here are the only two shots I managed to make yesterday between Port Credit GO and QEW. Winds were gusting pretty good and I couldn't maintain position. Something went awry with the water in front of this building.
DJI_0580.JPG

DJI_0581.JPG

At the QEW.

@drum118 is right. This is going to be a complete cluster Oct 28th to 31. Let's just hope they reopen on time!
DJI_0612.JPG

I don't know how they plan on getting two lanes east bound here on the eastbound ramp. That newly paved one just dies and it doesn't look like they are going to extend it. Same thing happens westbound so I don't know why they say they are maintaining two lanes in each direction.

DJI_0614.JPG

DJI_0619.JPG

Westbound off ramp
DJI_0617.JPG

Where the big dig will occur.
DJI_0624.JPG

DJI_0625.JPG

Another southbound view
DJI_0620.JPG

At the QEW.

@drum118 is right. This is going to be a complete cluster Oct 28th to 31. Let's just hope they reopen on time!
View attachment 432947
I don't know how they plan on getting two lanes east bound here on the eastbound ramp. That newly paved one just dies and it doesn't look like they are going to extend it. Same thing happens westbound so I don't know why they say they are maintaining two lanes in each direction.

View attachment 432948
View attachment 432950

Westbound off ramp
View attachment 432951
Where the big dig will occur.
View attachment 432952
View attachment 432953

Another southbound view
View attachment 432954
Great shots and still a hell a lot work to be done 9 days.

From my point of view, MTO and Metrolinx have screw up this area and everyone under estimated the timeframe to do the work by pushing things down the road considering everyone involved with this project including me, knew over 2 years ago that the move was to take place Thanksgiving weekend with a 65-72 hour window. The move should happen now the 2nd weekend in Nov in place of the end of the month.

They still don't have much more of the south of the QEW dug out as the box is to line up with the south side existing bridge. The current location of the ramp has some impact on the digging as the slop could give away until traffic is shifted.

From what I remember seeing the site, the eastbound lanes were to be shifted a fair bit to the south and expect to see more paving to have 2 lanes set up for the move. Otherwise, a royal frigging mess going to a single lane mess. You can see where the poles are going on the south side to see where the new ramp is to be

I don't think it will be fully reopen for AM if at all open and will have on the PM peak service. They will have to rebuilt the centre barrier and that not a one day job which will mean the 2 centre lanes will have to be close while the barrier is being built..

At this point of time, expect the line to open Q1 2025 in place of Q4 2024.

Some photos from today. I had planned to scope out the northern sections of this project but man, those winds today! I need to shoot when I have calm winds or an east wind so if I lose signal and GPS, Mini2 won't drift into Pearson 😱

Port Credit GO

View attachment 432939View attachment 432940
View attachment 432941View attachment 432942View attachment 432943
View attachment 432944

Here are the only two shots I managed to make yesterday between Port Credit GO and QEW. Winds were gusting pretty good and I couldn't maintain position. Something went awry with the water in front of this building.
View attachment 432945
View attachment 432946
Looking at your shots is showing the same things I saw on the ground a few weeks ago and raise some questions then as well now.

You can see where the new Englewood bridge, intersection and road is to be. Shoring has been completed for the east side and working on the west side. The creek been backfill to allow the shoring. Once the shoring is done, the backfill will be remove to allow the building of the bridge piers. Don't have a timetable yet when the new intersection will see new traffic lights and be open to everyone, but I guess the north road will see a stop sign going south before the bridge.

Once the new intersection is open, the current one will close at the same time, with the bridge being remove in time. This will allow more of the Mary Fix Creek channel to be built to the north side of the current bridge.

The retaining wall being form is for the LRT ROW and it will be a sharp bend for the tracks to get into the box and where is the pedestrian sidewalk to go in for this area?? Don't see provision for the west tunnel for a sidewalk.

From what I see, the south Mary Fix retaining wall that still need to be built will either connect to the LRT wall or leave enough room for the sidewalk between it and the LRT going up to the new bridge.

I am guess that the pedestrian tunnel under the tracks will be done later in X position like what Metrolinx does for stations tunnels, but need to be wider that current ones at PC.

Doesn't look like anyone has stated to work on the station work yet like I was told a few weeks ago, let alone the box.

There is a video for this mess and has yet to be approved by MTO for release and will post it once release

No Hurontario Access to the QEW at all. Same for the QEW from what I see

The south Service Road is going to be a mess

Any pedestrian wanting to get cross the QEW at Hurontario is in for one hell of a walk by the way of Cawthra to get around the closure

Significant Restrictions at QEW Closure of Hurontario Street at QEW
Beginning Friday, October 28, 2022, at 10PM to Monday October 31, 2022, at 5AM
What work is taking place? Starting October 28, 2022, at 10PM, crews will work around the clock for 55 hours to install a large structure, also known as the Push Box, that will form a new and additional underpass at the QEW highway along Hurontario Street to support the future LRT. This work will be continuous and is scheduled to be completed at 5AM on October 31, 2022, at which point the QEW, and Hurontario Street will be reopened for normal operations. If roadways are delayed in opening, updates will be provided by signage in the area, through the media and through social media.

What is closed? What is the detour?
There will be significant restrictions east and westbound on the QEW. Traffic will be reduced to two lanes in each direction and diverted off the highway to the Hurontario Street off and on ramps before returning to the QEW. There is also coordination with other MTO works at the QEW/Credit River Bridge to ensure traffic flows before and after the QEW/Hurontario Street closure. North and southbound Hurontario Street under the QEW will also be closed between North Service Road and South Service Road. There will be no access to the QEW on ramps from Hurontario Street and access to the QEW will be detoured as per the map above to Cawthra Road. Detours routes and signage will be set in place and signal timings will be adjusted to ensure traffic continues to move during this weekend.

Transit service will be detoured, resulting in no MiWay service between South Service Road and Mineola Road during this weekend. Please check www.MiWay.ca/updates.

There will be no pedestrian or cycling access at the tunnel east of Hurontario Street and under the QEW on Hurontario Street during this closure.

This is necessary to complete the work safely and in the least amount of time. Access for emergency vehicles will always be permitted through a coordinated effort with Paid Duty Officers (PDOs) and traffic crews on scene.

What to expect after the closure (Monday October 31, 2022)
• Traffic control devices and signage will be removed or modified
• Peel Police, OPP and traffic crews will assist in restoring traffic
• There will be minimal site restoration required along Hurontario and additional site restoration on the QEW and its ramps will be performed through work windows outside of the 55-hour closure
• Monitoring will continue consistently throughout the weekend Please note, work may be rescheduled due to weather or unforeseen circumstances. If you require the most up-to-date information, please reach out to peel@metrolinx.com

TIMING
• The QEW highway, in both directions, will be reduced to two lanes and traffic will be diverted to the Hurontario Street off and on ramps between 10PM Friday, October 28 until approximately 5AM Monday, October 31, 2022.
• Hurontario Street under the QEW will be closed between North Service Road and South Service from 10PM Friday October 28 until approximately 5AM Monday, October 31, 2022. There will be no access to the QEW on ramps from Hurontario Street during this time and traffic will be detoured.
• Closures and detours will be in place throughout the entire duration of the work.

TRAFFIC DETAILS
• Significant traffic delays are expected – consider alternate routes, transit or changing your plans.
• Access to southbound Hurontario Street will be maintained through a detour route from The Queensway, Cawthra Road, and Lakeshore Road.
• Access to northbound Hurontario Street will be maintained through a detour route from the South Service Road, Cawthra Road, and The Queensway.
• Watch for slow moving vehicles entering and exiting work areas. • Remember to reduce your speed when approaching lane reductions and road closures.

• Residents and businesses near the work site can expect increased traffic on local streets and to hear noise and vibration caused by trucks, excavators, backhoes, and other construction equipment related to this work.

TRANSIT IMPACTS
• MiWay’s Route 2 – Hurontario will be on detour during this closure. Route 2 will not service Hurontario Street between South Service Road and Mineola Road. Visit www.miway.ca/updates for information on your bus route and schedule.
• Visit www.gotransit.com for information on GO Bus detours.
• Watch for additional signs directing passengers at bus stops as boarding areas may be relocated.

PEDESTRIAN DETAILS
• Access under the QEW on Hurontario Street and the pedestrian tunnel will be closed.
• Please obey all construction signs as pedestrian access under the QEW will be closed.
• Please take care when travelling near construction areas. CONTACT US
• Metrolinx has a dedicated community relations team in place to work with residents in Peel region through the construction and operation of this project.
• 24-hour line 416-202-7500
QEW20Hurontario20Notice.pdf.png

Last edited:

Back