Toronto Hullmark Centre | 167.94m | 45s | Tridel | Kirkor Architects

With the signage going higher, that could've been a nice plan for Dundas Square...though the tower design is nothing special.

Wow, SW facing Radiance buyers are sure going to be pissed off, lol.

There's a subway maintenance structure/escape hatch right at the corner that will totally compromise that planned plaza...either they didn't add it to the rendering or it'll be removed somehow.

The Henry Moore-esque statue will tip over Batman-style revealing a set of stairs hidden beneath.

I'm not sure about the ads, but I love the way this building anchors the corner. Canderal should take notes for RoCP. That sort of plaza would look awesome at Yonge-Gerrard.

black trees in North York? It don't seem fittin' somehow

Sure, black trees around Jane + Finch. And yellow trees in north Scarborough, etc
kramer.jpg

OOOPS

The Kirkor site also includes renders of their embarrassing original Ritz-Carlton plan (now the Trump, now redesigned by Zeidler). It seems they feel it's more important to have the name Ritz-Carlton one their site than to hide the crappy thing. Actually, much of their portfolio mundane or worse.

I like the massing of the Hullmark Centre and how it meets the plaza, but the towers, while sleek, could be much more exciting.

We're living in the post-Absolute World era now, developers!

This thing just looks massive compared to the already sizable buildings around it.

BTW, if you go to hullmark.com, you'll find some very cute little developers. You will, of course, be at the wrong site however. This Hullmark has been a partner with Tridel in many of its developments including most significantly, I believe, the Skymark buildings up at Finch and Don Mills.

I am not sure about this development. Its hardly graceful and it reminds me of an 1980's-like mega development - and that's not a good thing. And I fear that the 'square' will largely be empty and windswept most of the time.

North York suffers from too many of these massive developments on Yonge. They tend to suck in pedestrians with their internal malls, add little to the street and contain too little in terms of retail variety.

I agree, alklay: the whole thing looks very derivative and vaguely from another era. Though, that said, there is something unique about the Martian architecture on Yonge Street, especially stretching north from Sheppard, that will present architects 50 years hence with a great opportunity to come up with buildings that humanize the neighbourhood. Developments like these throw down the gauntlet to the best and brightest creative minds yet unborn. I shan't get to see their solutions, alas!

Thats a great way to look at it but you are right - it gives us living in the present little comfort.

it gives us living in the present little comfort

Sorry alklay, but that sounds a little over-the-top. I think we're getting something second rate here, but I'm not worried about my comfort level. Maybe the expression was meant to be innocuous here, but it comes across to me as though we're so hard done by these days. 'T'isn't so.

A second rate development in a second rate City Centre area. I fail to see the problem :p

It'll definitely be a wind-swept corner but I think it's much better than what's there now. And it will bring the NYCC to new heights, if approved. Finally a bit of a breakin-up of the height monotony found out there.

"Its hardly graceful and it reminds me of an 1980's-like mega development "

But it's North York Centre...80s-mega is the only way to go.

It's certainly possible that the square won't be well populated for quite some time, especially because the subway exits will always lead most people away from that corner. In time, though, enough towers with retail bases will rise that people will flood Yonge south of Sheppard. Either way, the plaza's main purpose seems to be a visual element, not a real 'people place.'

Back